Thread: 5x7 B&W films

5x7 B&W films

I'm about stepping into large format. But I need some recommendation about what B&W film to use since most of the films I used to use are nt available in sheet size. I'm looking for slow/medium speed 5x7 film, most of my work is portraits/glamour studio shots. I read in Photo Technique magazine that Apx 100 is regarded by some as the best. My second alternative is Ilford PF 4 plus, since I loved the pan f plus which d oesn't exist in sheet sizes The third is Kodak ektapan b&w sheet film. Another question: is there a difference between 5x7 inch size & the 13x18 cm siz e? Do I need different holders? Kodak advertizes 5x7 while agfa 13x18; so should I buy a film holder for kodak f ilms and another for agfa? thanks Xosni

5x7 B&W films

Sheet film: Ektapan; Ektapan; Ektapan. 120: Verichrome Pan; Verichrome Pan; Ver ichrome Pan. Oops, all the secrets are out.

5x7 B&W films

Mr. Hosni,

Ilford FP4+ is readily available in 5X7 format and is an excellent choice. It is my understanding that 5X7 inch film holders will not accommidate 13X18 cm. film.

DAB.

5x7 B&W films

(1) In the USA, Calumet sells 13x18 film holders. You'll need these holders for any 13x18 films. (2) For B/W films, Agfa 13x18 is available in Europe; forget about it here in th e USA. You'll need to contact film/photo suppliers in Germany or Scandanavian co untries. Perhaps if you contact Agfa through their website (in Europe, not the US), they can provide you with the names/#s of European film suppliers.... Furth ermore, for 5x7, Ilford FP4+ is a great film. Should you ever need longer exposu res (i.e. especially greater than several seconds), you may want to consider TM ax 100 because of its more efficient response to reciprocity failure. Also, it' s my understanding that Freestyle in LA will be offering soon 5x7 Arista (aka-- supposedly-- Ilford) films. Finally, if you're willing to go to the "trouble" of getting 13x18 Agfapan 100, do it!! It's a great film! BILL

5x7 B&W films

Glad you're happy with it Bill!

BTW, are you sure that the 13X18 won't work with a 5X7 film holder? I always thought that they would.

Brian

5x7 B&W films

Ahmed - Take a look at the issue of VIEW CAMERA magazine (which is a publication you should definately subscribe to you if you are headed into large format) - November/Deceber 2000 - p. 65

"Kodak has placed all 5x7 films, except Tri-X, on special order status with a minimum order of 3,000 sheets.....Ilford cosiders 5x7 as standard items...We tested the Arist films [from Freestyle] and found they were the same as the Ilford films."

The European ad American sizes are not interchangeable.

Hope that helps.

Brian