Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5x7 Enlargers - Suggestions, Prices?

Red face 5x7 Enlargers - Suggestions, Prices?

Hey Guys! If I were to consider purchasing a 5x7 enlarger, what would I look for? I'm used to using rental enlargers, so I've probably taken a lot of features and build quality for granted. Are all enlargers pretty much the same? What makes one enlarger better (or at least cost more) than another? Any recommendations? And last question - what should I be paying for a used 5x7 enlarger today?

Thanks!
    --A

PS: I'm doing B&W - no color head required....

In the desert...

Re: 5x7 Enlargers - Suggestions, Prices?

In the past year I have purchased 2 omega e 5 x 7 enlargers in wonderful shape. One came complete with a Richards elevating table which is really nice. Top price paid was $125.00. I did have to arrange for a relative to pick up one and hold it until I could move it. The other I had shipped and it worked out ok. One was cold light and the other condenser.
    They are out there for the "getting" if you are patient. Folks now days just dont know what to do with these dinosaurs.

The Durst 138S is one of the best 5x7 enlargers available. This system has an amazing number of accessories inlcuding light sources, negative carriers, lens boards. The Durst 138 is quite heavy, several hundred pounds, so shippng is always a problem. They are frequently on Ebay and can go from several hundred to over a thousand dollars. The 138S usually comes with a condensor light source and Latico condensors. A cold light source is available as is a point light source and many people install a 5x7 dichro head. The last model manufactured has a small grey knob on the front of the stage where the negative carrier sits. The older versions will have a wood surface projection table, the newer ones will have a white laminate surface. The projection table is adjustable as is the height of the head. The head rotates for wall projection. The head is spring loaded so you must be careful in any disasembly for shipping. These were very expensive enlargers new, there seems to be more in Europe than in the US.

Here are some current examples on Ebay (two are in Europe so shipping probably is not feasible) but it gives you good information on the Durst system.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DURST-COLOR-LABO...em190183293595

http://cgi.ebay.com/DURST-LABORATOR-...em310007275334

http://cgi.ebay.com/DURST-LABORATOR-...em130182041417

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Felty View Post
    The Durst 138S is one of the best 5x7 enlargers available. This system has an amazing number of accessories inlcuding light sources, negative carriers, lens boards. The Durst 138 is quite heavy, several hundred pounds, so shippng is always a problem. They are frequently on Ebay and can go from several hundred to over a thousand dollars. The 138S usually comes with a condensor light source and Latico condensors. A cold light source is available as is a point light source and many people install a 5x7 dichro head. The last model manufactured has a small grey knob on the front of the stage where the negative carrier sits. The older versions will have a wood surface projection table, the newer ones will have a white laminate surface. The projection table is adjustable as is the height of the head. The head rotates for wall projection. The head is spring loaded so you must be careful in any disasembly for shipping. These were very expensive enlargers new, there seems to be more in Europe than in the US.

Here are some current examples on Ebay (two are in Europe so shipping probably is not feasible) but it gives you good information on the Durst system.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DURST-COLOR-LABO...em190183293595

http://cgi.ebay.com/DURST-LABORATOR-...em310007275334

http://cgi.ebay.com/DURST-LABORATOR-...em130182041417
    I concur that this is probably the best commonly available 5X7 used enlarger out there today. It is the one of the two different enlargers that I use today.

I would go on to say that if you find one of these that you decide to buy to be sure that you have the condensers that you need since this is not a case of one size fits all. Durst condensers are matched to format size and even to make (Schneider as different from Rodagon for instance) and length of enlarging lenses. There are different condensers for the Thorn lamp (no longer available, by the way) and the point light source.

I converted my enlarger to a higher wattage more point light source since the thorn lamp is no longer available.

Good luck with your quest.

There is a Beseler 57 on the bay right now, some place in Illinois. If you're close enough they might let you pick it up if you win. I've got one just like this and it is more than adequate.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    ... There are different condensers for the Thorn lamp (no longer available, by the way) and the point light source.

I converted my enlarger to a higher wattage more point light source since the thorn lamp is no longer available. ...

Funny you should mention that - I just exchanged my 300W big opal Thorn bulb with a 17W "economy bulb" CFL, and ended up with decreased printing times. Since the new lamp has much less heat output I could also remove the heat filter. I turn on the light and leave it to stabilise for a few minutes with the lens cap on, and just use lens cap and/or my hands for exposure control. Last printing session the lamp was on for four hours with the same negative in, and the negative wasn't even warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    Funny you should mention that - I just exchanged my 300W big opal Thorn bulb with a 17W "economy bulb" CFL, and ended up with decreased printing times. Since the new lamp has much less heat output I could also remove the heat filter. I turn on the light and leave it to stabilise for a few minutes with the lens cap on, and just use lens cap and/or my hands for exposure control. Last printing session the lamp was on for four hours with the same negative in, and the negative wasn't even warm.

My 1200 watt lamp is probably overkill but I fan cool the lamp house and print with about 4 second exposures with three stops of ND in the light path...LOL

The heat generated is welcome in the winters but certainly not in the heat of a Phoenix summer when it hits 43 or 44 celcius.

Another vote for the 138S It is a well engineered and sturdy enlarger with a lot of possibilities. I have the 3 lens turet so switching format is really easy.
    Believe the total weight is about 165 pound but it is easy to disassemble at least into two parts.

Alec, you're in NYC, start asking around at the custom labs. I'm sure you'll find some leads there.

The Durst 138s is a great enlarger. It actually can be UPS shipped---the base (feet) can be removed, the baseboard removed, the head removed, and the column split in two.

I have used this enlarger with a cold light head (and currently with a homemade LED head). If you get one without a head (or that is missing parts) a cold light is simple to install (Aristo at least used to make a bracket for the 138...). Make sure the negative carrier is in good condition, they are hard to find and expensive.

I'm sure there are other fine enlargers out there. The Durst is easily the best I've used.

--clyde