Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpack recommendation

Re: Backpack recommendation

The like Lowepro Vertex 200. It has a slot for a laptop that I use for other things when I don't need to carry a laptop. Very handy and a well-made backpack.

-A

Still Developing

I have many back injuries (broken vertebrae that was removed, two cracked vertebbrae, 2 damaged discs) so my findings might be useful. I tried out 'normal' backpacks (although I didn't get to see any posh technical ones) and the lowepro range. I finally bought a Lowepro Pro II which works a treat for me as I can wear it with the belt cinched such that ALL of the weight is on my waist and apart from the odd bruise if I have a seam under the belt, I can walk 5-8 miles with this setup (about 35lbs of gear)

Here's another vote for the Kelty Redwing. I recently had Bruce at Photobackpacker.com modify my Redwing with a water-resistant zipper that enlarges the opening of the main compartment, offering full access to the bottom 5 or 6 inches of the bag. I use a set of Pelican 1500 series padded dividers to organize the gear inside. There's enough room left over inside for film holders, readyloads and holder, polaroid 545 and T55 film, plus water, a jacket, and other trail accoutriments.

This one looks interesting:

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Back...er_600_AW.aspx

(look at photos 4, 5, 6)

Have Dan McHale make one for you.

http://www.mchalepacks.com/

Steve

Terence

I always said the McHale packs are nice but too expensive. That sale price, however, is very tempting . . .

I know a fellow Jack Brauer who recently bought a McHale and really likes it. He had written about it on the packs maiden trip here. http://www.widerange.org/gallery.php?gallery=needles

I wrote about my deuter daypack in the "show us your bag thread". My wife got me a Gregory Palisade for Christmas and I have an old mountainsmith expedition sized backpack for when you want to carry the kitchen sink AND the fridge. I haven't carried the Palisade yet. I'll probably use it in January. But I've carried as much as 77 pounds or camping and climbing gear in that old mountainsmith and been as comfortable as you can expect to be under that load.

Here's another vote for the McHale packs... I have one of his demos right now (it's rather convenient that his shop is a 15-minute drive from my new home ), and I've carried around 50 pounds with it on a couple of hikes and snowshoe trips. Yes, they're expensive... but they're also nigh indestructible, and carry weight remarkably well.

Also, you can get the Photobackpacker compartments customized to fit into one if you get one and measure it

pm sent.

Mike

Some of the metal parts on the Tachihara can be a little delicate, particularly where the support arms taper to a thin spring and attach to the wood. So whichever bag you choose protect these areas. As others have noted, the weight of the bag should rest on your hips, if you have a long body, as I do, you may have to buy a backpack like the Kelty. Big camera bags are nice for protection of the equipment but they are expensive and heavy.