Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpack recommendation

Backpack recommendation

I have a small backpack for my dSLR but with the recent purchase of a Tachihara I'm going to need another one.

Besides the camera, I'm going to need room for the usuals but not particularly large. It would not be for long, multi-day hikes either. Something comfortable.

I live in a small town with no real photography stores so I'm going to have to travel elsewhere to try them on. But for now I'd appreciate some recommendations at least narrowing down the kinds that I should look for.

Re: Backpack recommendation

I hope you've tried "backpack" using the Forum's search engine, because there have been many threads on the subject. Rather than specific recommendations, let me give some general decisions you will have to make. First, some of us simply place our cameras and lenses (usually in wraps or some form of protection) inside unstructured backpacks. That's one approach. Others of us prefer a backpack with compartments or some other structure to give each item a specific place. In this category you have a bunch of photography-specific backpacks (Tenba, Tamrac, Lowepro, etc.). A different approach to a structured pack is the photobackpacker system, which provides a "structure" you place inside a regular backpacking pack. I've used all three approaches, and each has some advantages and disadvantage. Let's simply say that I've ended up with the photobackpacker system, but if you look at the threads on this subject, there are advocates for each approach.

What carries well for one person may not work for you.

I recommend giving some consideration to the "camera pack" versus "backpacking pack" dichotomy - finding yourself on the other side of this decision will make your search more efficient. Each approach has distinct advantages. Most of the camera packs are panel loaders - with one zip you have access to everything. The LowePro-like bags provide customizable compartmentalization and carry reasonably well. They protect your gear well and most have a centrally-located tripod caddy system. These packs are heavier and do not carry as well as well-fitted backpacking packs from companies such as Osprey, Dana/Marmot, Arcteryx and Gregory. But once again: the pack that a forum member has found to work well may not fit your frame.

It's unfortunate that you don't live closer to a good gear shop.

For further help see this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ight=show+pack

You'll also find other useful threads on the forum by using the search function.

Once you narrow down your choice you may want to consider ordering two or three packs at a time from an online retailer, and try them out at home. Do you have a friend who is knowledgeable in pack fitting?

I am using two packs.

For light trips, a Lowepro Mini Trekker fits my camera, a couple lenses, and my meter. A second small bag holds a few holders.

Then for bigger, longer trips, i have a Lowepro Photo Trekker II. A much bigger bag that carried all the gear.

Both have built in rain covers which is great.

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

I use similar setups. It's a continual evolution, so my Pro Trekker AW II is for sale. Used just once.

Jeffrey, pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by bardamu View Post
    Jeffrey, pm sent
    Hi Bardamu,

The bag that Jeffery is selling is a first rate bag and very well built. It'll offer your gear a LOT of protection.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

the best system I have found to date is the Photobackpacker. You can customize the fit of the pack to your torso and then customize the interior with whatever gear you are carrying. Unlike the one size fits all camera backpacks the photobackpacker lets you pick a backpack that is designed for your specific torso. It makes a great deal of difference when you are hiking all day. Check it out for yourself at photobackpacker.com. Bruce has done an excellent job of designing a system that is infinitely variable for each individual.
    david mcmahon

Another option is to Find a good comfortable backpack and customize it yourself.
    http://www.goldeneyephoto.com/OtherP...niquesPage.htm

kev

I have been consistently underwhelmed by purpose-built photo backpacks. While they are good at protection, they seen to miss the ergonomics of carrying something on your back completely. My 25-yr old Lowe Alpine (not to mention any of my modern Osprey or Black Diamond packs) carries much better than anything from Lowepro or Tenba. As several people on this furum have done, I use a divider insert from a Pelican hard case to fit my gear, and then place that in one of my Ospreys.

I must admit I haven't seen the Photobackpacker in person; being built on a Kelty pack it might be a good option.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon