Thread: Upgrading Silverfast, possible?

Upgrading Silverfast, possible?

Hi-

I'm planning on getting a V700, which to my knowledge comes with silverfast AE 6. Is there a way to upgrade to 6.5 or whatever version contains multipass, or do I have to pay the full price of the program all over again.

I did a search, but while were at it, any comments on this combination of scanner/software and multipass?

thanks-

Re: Upgrading Silverfast, possible?

You can just by the upgrade to AI Studio. I don't remember what it costs but it is far less than the full program, but doesn't the 700 come with SE which has MP? I can't remember.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

SE and SE Plus allow multipass on most scanners. The newest feature is multi-exposure, which came out with version 6.5. The page I have linked at SilverFast indicates $30, and that it works with SE Plus ... though check with them to be certain.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Thanks. I'm finding all the versions and upgrades a bit confusing.

I get most everything from B&H. On their website they state the V700 comes with "LaserSoft Imaging SilverFast SE6 CD-ROM." I assumed SE6 meant 6.0 (which doesn't have mp?) and not 6.5, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Version 6.0 through 6.4 has multipass, but does not have multi-exposure. To get mutli-exposure with multipass, you need 6.5 or greater. That Epson V700 comes with the regular SE version of SilverFast. You get a little more function upgrading to SE Plus, and lots more function upgrading to AI or AI Studio. If you are not going to be scanning at heavy volume, I recommend sticking to SE Plus at the highest level.

Multipass can be useful, but will slow down your scanning. Usually you would only use two or four passes, and rarely see benefit (on many scanners) from more.

Multi-exposure is a whole other kettle of fish . . . . . . it seems to pull slightly more dynamic range on the scanners on which it works. However, it seems that sometimes alignment of the scanner stepper and optics might result in a slightly softer scan.

I don't think I would use multi-exposure that often, if I had a low end scanner; though I would use multipass often. I hope that explains things better.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Thanks-

That is helpful. So the V700 is a low end scanner? Not even mid grade?

I don't intend on enlarging past 8X8" from Hasselblad negs, mostly, will do some 4X5 too, but at those enlargements, I would imagine a drum scanner/dedicated film scanner is far less than necessary for exceptional prints.

Some might have an opinion that the Epson V700 is mid range, though based upon price and performance I consider it low end. It seems to be good value for the money. The true optical resolution capability is okay. Where I think it falls short of a mid range to high end scanner is in the true DMax capability. Don't confuse true capabilities with the specifications Epson lists, or you might think a V700 is nearly as good as a Creo.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Go to the Lasersoft web site and see what versions of Silverfast they make for your scanner.