Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 90 Super Angulon XL or 65 Super Angulon?

90 Super Angulon XL or 65 Super Angulon?

I'm new(ish) to large format. I just got myself a decent Burke & James 5x7/4x5 (sometime in the next 9 months I'd like to get a better field camera). I'll primarily be using the 4x5 back. I'm now going to buy a lens, and I'm torn between two. One is a Super Angulon XL 90mm f/5.6, the other is a 65mm f/5.6 Super Angulon. Both are in great condition. Most of my work is outdoor architecture, with some indoor work. Both lenses are a good price, as I am employed where they are being sold. Should I go all out and get the 90? Or get the 65 and put the extra money away for a new camera?

I really appreciate the help, folks! Thanks!

James

Re: 90 Super Angulon XL or 65 Super Angulon?

If it is going to be your first lens, I'd go for the 90mm simply because 65mm is extremely wide on 4x5 while the 90mm is still a wide angle lens, but more usable. The image circle of the 65mm is rather limited too.

Photographer

I would recommend against the Super Angulon XL. It's a huge lens and takes 90mm filters. The rear element will not fit through the front end of some 4x5 cameras.

I would suggest something that takes 67mm filters: Nikon SW or the Schneider Super Angulon for example. These are both f/8 lenses.
    Keith Pitman

Smile Re: 90 Super Angulon XL or 65 Super Angulon?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    I would recommend against the Super Angulon XL. It's a huge lens and takes 90mm filters. The rear element will not fit through the front end of some 4x5 cameras.

I would suggest something that takes 67mm filters: Nikon SW or the Schneider Super Angulon for example. These are both f/8 lenses.
    I agree with you Keith. I would not buy the 90mm XL either, but James just asked about those two specific lenses. I would also recommend the Grandagon-N 6.8/90mm (67mm filter thread) as my best compromise.
    Besides, I would not start with a 90mm as a first lens, but with a 135mm or 150mm, but again, that was not his question.

65mm is extremely wide on 4x5. It is certainly useful for interiors, but a 90mm would be a better choice for a first lens. If you are planning on taking it away from a car or using filters, check the table on the LF Home Page for weights and filter sizes of the lens options: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s/LF4x5in.html

As Ron says 65mm on a 5x4 is extremely wide, and will allow very little in the way of movements, it's also a little tricky to use for architectural work. I do use mine but not very often, in comparison my 90mm f6.8 Grandagon gets a lot of use and is a very practical focal length roughly equivalent to a 28mm on a 35mm camera.

Ian

65 and 90 make a great pair of wide angles. Anyway that you could swing both (no pun intended)?

I think the 90mm SA would be a great choice. Plenty wide (almost like a 24mm on 35mm film) plenty of image circle for movements (needed for architecture) and wide enough for many interior shots.

Can you even get a 65mm lens to focus on a 7x5 B&J?

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Get a 90mm. If you need even wider angle, use 5x7" film!