Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Night Photography

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Night Photography

was wondering if theres many night photographers on here? i recently read an interview with Chris Conrad in black and white photography magazine and it inspired me to try my hand at night photography. so I did some exposures of a meteor shower over the summer and finaly got a chance to process the film this week.

i was quite supprised at how well the meteors showed up on 100ISO film, even for a relitivly short exposure of 45min. going to go to mid wales in easter for the specific purpous of more night shots.

This is the best of the 2 negs and from memory it was 100iso Delta in a Wista 45DX shot with a 150mm D.O. Industries lens at f5.6 for about 45min.

tim810

Re: Night Photography

Thats a great shot. I shoot night stuff quite often including last nite. The snow we recieved up here in the north east was beautiful. I just strolled behind my apt building and into an industrial rail yard and took 3 shots. I am always excited to see what my results are after doing nite shots, something neat always happens that you don't always expect. The Frog bridge in Willimantic CT (a block away from my house) was taken with my cambo 8x10 on TXP 320 shot at 200, exposure was about 25min f45 with Caltar 240 f5.6.

The only thing I really worry about is being alone in a rail yard in a not so safe city at 11pm with my head under a dark cloth. It is always good to let people know where you are and have a safe call or somthing at a speciffic time, so people can go looking for you if you don't call back. Otherwise ENJOY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tim810 View Post

The only thing I really worry about is being alone in a rail yard in a not so safe city at 11pm with my head under a dark cloth. It is always good to let people know where you are and have a safe call or somthing at a speciffic time, so people can go looking for you if you don't call back. Otherwise ENJOY!!!!
    This is a good time to bring your 150 lb Rottweiller named "Princess" with you on shoots.

Harry, I especially like your night shot of the Chinese factory. I have a similar concept for a painting that I been meaning to do.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

tim810

Buttercup is a 230 lb mastiff and a big MUSH. He suits his name!! His bark is rather scary though. I think he would frighten off people, Although, frizz the 25lb Schnauzer would do more damage. Butter would be hiding behind me barking and trembling.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    This is a good time to bring your 150 lb Rottweiller named "Princess" with you on shoots.

Harry, I especially like your night shot of the Chinese factory. I have a similar concept for a painting that I been meaning to do.

Quote Originally Posted by tim810 View Post
    Buttercup is a 230 lb mastiff and a big MUSH. He suits his name!! His bark is rather scary though. I think he would frighten off people, Although, frizz the 25lb Schnauzer would do more damage. Butter would be hiding behind me barking and trembling.
    You mean that I'm almost psychic?

I wouldn't mess with any "scardy cat" Mastiffs either.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

A quick note that Tom Paiva, who is a master commercial photographer specializing in night work, will be leading a free workshop and presenting at the Foto3 Conference. Tom has been part of the View Camera Conference this year and led a spectacular workshop shooting from the roof of the hotel at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    A quick note that Tom Paiva, who is a master commercial photographer specializing in night work, will be leading a free workshop and presenting at the Foto3 Conference. Tom has been part of the View Camera Conference this year and led a spectacular workshop shooting from the roof of the hotel at night.
    I second what Ted said about Tom. You should pick up his book, "Industrial Night", for some inspiration, it is very good. You can check his website, tompaiva.com....EC

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Here's another excellent night photographer: http://www.thenightskye.com/archive.htm

Night photography was one of the reasons for me to get into large format.
    When I took this image I saw a meteor between the chimneys but it did not register
    because I was at f16 on Kodak 160VC.

I also took a lot of night pictures in China because the light was quite bad
    during the day.
    china stuff on flickr