Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LF travel advice needed

LF travel advice needed

Friends, I will be traveling with family to Giza for a few days and then to Israel for about a week. As I sit here, the thought of taking my LF gear along is so seductive. Need your thoughts on practicality. Gear is Toyo 45. My only lens (at this time) is Rodenstock Sironar S 150mm. I would likely pick up a 90mm (or so) and 250mm (or so) and get to know them before leaving. I have both Fuji and Kodak quick backs and would take them rather than load holders - probably Provia and/or some Kodak GX. Now that I think about, probably just the Fuji combination to save weight. Tripod is carbon with acratech head. Meter is a Seconic.
    This would not be my only kit. I would also bring my Nikon D70 with 70-210 VR and 12-24mm for street and other more casual shooting. I bet I can get most all of this in my Lowe Slingshot 300. I took my Rollei 6008 and several dozen rolls of film to Israel a few years back - and the experience of shlepping that beast around my neck, and shooting hyperfocal style, was not altogether pleasant. People in that part of the world tend to get a bit squeemish when you raise such a device to eye level and point. Several soldiers commented on my "bazooka." Bought the Nikon when I got back. But the images, which I easily print to 24" square are a joy. I have a large format Scitex scanner and Epson 7800. The idea of a well shot image of the Pyramids printed large prompts me to consider taking the Toyo. To get there, see the perfect image for the Toyo which I have to take with the Nikon would be profoundly discouraging. But I also know that the logistics, resposibilites and sheer weight of a pack full of gear can be very tiring and aggravating. Been there. So I would be pleased to hear from any of you who have made such a trek with your LF gear, and would be greatful for your words of wisdom or scorn. Please do share any travel tips. Much obliged. David

Re: LF travel advice needed

It sounds like you will have a very compact, fairly lightweight 4x5" setup. I often travel with my 4x5" Technika, five or six lenses, Grafmatics, and all the usual accessories, but since I can use the Technika handheld, I don't bring a second camera. I also travel sometimes even internationally with an 8x10" Gowland, five or six lenses, five 8x10" filmholders, darkcloth, and all the usual accessories.

4x5" and three lenses, Quickloads and an ultralight tripod?--no problem. Do a search on "travel" and you'll turn up many, many threads on how to transport your gear, deal with airports, etc.

David, thanks for the encouragement. I will spend some time with the archives. David

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    It sounds like you will have a very compact, fairly lightweight 4x5" setup. I often travel with my 4x5" Technika, five or six lenses, Grafmatics, and all the usual accessories, but since I can use the Technika handheld, I don't bring a second camera. I also travel sometimes even internationally with an 8x10" Gowland, five or six lenses, five 8x10" filmholders, darkcloth, and all the usual accessories.

4x5" and three lenses, Quickloads and an ultralight tripod?--no problem. Do a search on "travel" and you'll turn up many, many threads on how to transport your gear, deal with airports, etc.

I travel a lot with my Toyo AII. I can get all the necessities, including two lenses, in an over-the-shoulder bag haversack type bag. Somewhere in the archives you will see a picture of that rig. Additionally, I use an Orvis gear bag as a carryon that holds a lot more and sometimes just go out in the field with that. Again, lots of discussions in the archives on that and you can read the details in the "Bags, bags, bags" article in View Camera (sometime in 2006 if memory serves).

Check out the recent thread on bags here http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=31080

That may help you decide what will carry the gear in the most convenient manner for you.

The luxury of multiple lenses may cause you to miss a shot because you can't decide on what focal length gets the shot best for you, whereas with the one lens you know your capabilities and you make the shot work with the minimal kit. That's just because I enjoy single lens setups, maybe you would prefer 3 lenses or more to choose from, a spare lens for backup is a good idea though. Trust your kit I guess!

Remember the weight of a lens on lensboard really adds up in the end, as does the volume of DDS holders you'll carry. Will you be taking a changing bag with you so you can transfer exposed shots into a spare box, and reload your holders?

Giza = Sand, right? Watch out for that, I'm sure you know all the dangers of delicate parts and dust and dirt.

As much as I love my field cameras, I'd only ever travel with the Razzle since it's handheld. That takes out a lot of the bulk from tripods. At worst I could always take a monopod.

Watch out with taking too many cameras, same reason as too many lenses.

Ash,
    your comments reminded me of that old chesnut about travel planning: put all your clothes in one pile and all your money in another. Then remove half the clothes and double the money. I agree that the more lenses means more opportunities and more hassles. Learned that with my Rollei travels. But the Toyo will come out only for specific shooting opportunites that should be under some "control." I am bringing the Nikon along for everythng else. As for film - all Quickload.

Ted, if you have never seen one, I would sugget checking out the Lowe Slingshot 3. I carried my Nikon kit in it on my last trip to the Middle East with great success. The best part is the single carrying strap which fits, bandolero style, diagonally across the chest. This configuration takes the pressure off the shoulders and seems to carry the weight closer to your center of gravity. It also lets you access the camera on a moments notice without taking the bag off. You just swing it around in front of you . It automatically rotates onto its side and rests at chest level. You look down and see a U shaped zipper which opens to the camera compartmet. It is actually comfortable enough to walk around with the bag hung off your chest - and the camera is instantly accessable. The top compartment was actually designed to be big enough for the 70-210, and it is stable enough that you can access and changes lenses with the bag worn in its front postion. I am hoping to fit both kits into it.
    Cheers, David

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Check out the recent thread on bags here http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=31080

That may help you decide what will carry the gear in the most convenient manner for you.

The luxury of multiple lenses may cause you to miss a shot because you can't decide on what focal length gets the shot best for you, whereas with the one lens you know your capabilities and you make the shot work with the minimal kit. That's just because I enjoy single lens setups, maybe you would prefer 3 lenses or more to choose from, a spare lens for backup is a good idea though. Trust your kit I guess!

Remember the weight of a lens on lensboard really adds up in the end, as does the volume of DDS holders you'll carry. Will you be taking a changing bag with you so you can transfer exposed shots into a spare box, and reload your holders?

Giza = Sand, right? Watch out for that, I'm sure you know all the dangers of delicate parts and dust and dirt.

As much as I love my field cameras, I'd only ever travel with the Razzle since it's handheld. That takes out a lot of the bulk from tripods. At worst I could always take a monopod.

Watch out with taking too many cameras, same reason as too many lenses.

I've got about a dozen lenses for my 4x5, ranging from 90mm to 14". About 80% of my images are made with either a lens in the 8" range (either my 210 Fujinon or my 8.5" Ilex Paragon), or a 120mm.

Of course, the law of shifting reality states that if you travel 6000 miles to take photographs and only carry those two lenses, the only thing you'll see worth photographing requires the 90mm.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Of course, the law of shifting reality states that if you travel 6000 miles to take photographs and only carry those two lenses, the only thing you'll see worth photographing requires the 90mm.[/QUOTE]

No truer words were ever uttered.

I often travel with my Technikarden 45s and two lenses, a wide (90) and longer (210), 10 film holders, spot meter etc... in a f64 backpack. I use a harrison pup tent to change film in at night. I have found this combo to be pretty good, but often wish for something in-between (150). Make sure you take extra boxes for spent film.

If you're shooting in the desert, dust and sand will be a major issue. I recently shot in Arizona's Monument Valley and had a lot of my images (using High Speed Infrared - HIE) ruined by major dust on the negs. Although the HP5+ I shot at the same time had little to no dust specks.

I have also been prevented from shooting in some places in Greece (1995) because I hadn't gotten permits to use a tripod. This happened all over the country even in small towns (Monemvasia SP?). You would expect such restrictions in the historic sites, but I was surprised when I was prevented from shooting, or at least questioned about what the images would be used for, nearly every time I set-up my camera. Although I must say that other than that the Greeks were an extremely friendly bunch. If you're shooting around historic monuments make sure there aren't any restrictions, and if there are, get the permits ahead of time. I have found this usually only applies when a tripod is used. I have shot all over Europe and parts of Asia without any problems.

Hope this helps

r.

I've reduced my kit to my 4x5 camera (canham, toyo or chamonix) and a Schneider 110 and Schneider 210. I figure I can do most everything that I do, with this kit.