Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trident software for drum scanner...

Re: Trident software for drum scanner...

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Yes. I haven't purchased one yet since they are sort of pricey. Purchasing a SCSI card is a much cheaper alternative, but my current PC is short on available PCI slots so I may eventually adopt that option.

Don Bryant
    Hi Don,

That's the thing with these machines... if one knew that it would definitely work, then it wouldn't be such a major decision in spending the dollars.

So, are you using an Adaptec on your scanner now? I have an extra 2930U for a PC if you're interested in giving it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Boden View Post
    I'm using Trident 4.0 on a Howtek 4500. However, when I bought my scanner, it came with Trident 3.5. After installing 3.5 and messing around with it a bit, I immediately changed to 4.0.

As for a significant difference, if I remember correctly, color management did not function properly on 3.5. Therefore, a switch to 4.0 is mandatory in a color managed workflow. Other differences were simply operational with more control.

Aside from that, keep in mind that Trident is not the most intuitive application. It certainly takes a while getting used to and to master. I'd say that I'm still learning something with every scan.

If you're not aware already, there is one gotcha with the Trident software and that pertains to the dongle, which plugs into a PS2 port. To get it to function, you'll need a USB-to-PS2 adapter.

Good luck and let us know what you end of using.
    Hello Mike,

Thanks very, very much for the input... no, I wasn't aware of the need for an extra adapter. So, I guess that makes my decision that much easier. The upgrade from v2 to v4 is $495. The Silverfast Ai is $600. But, not having to hunt down the USB-PS2 adapter will make the difference that much more palatable.

Ted,

Nice to see another Mac man!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    Hi Don,

So, are you using an Adaptec on your scanner now? I have an extra 2930U for a PC if you're interested in giving it a try.
    I'm using an Adaptec 2910B - very inexpensive! I beleive the 2930 has a 50 Pin connector. My scanner cable is 25 pin. There maybe a 25 to 50 gender-bender but I'm not sure I would gain anything by using the 2930.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    I'm using an Adaptec 2910B - very inexpensive! I beleive the 2930 has a 50 Pin connector. My scanner cable is 25 pin. There maybe a 25 to 50 gender-bender but I'm not sure I would gain anything by using the 2930.

Don
    Hi Don,

Yes, you're correct... it is a 50 pin connector.

No, there probably wouldn't be any gain... most likely, more of a pita than an advantage.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Lenny,

Why not just install a SCSI card n your Mac? I run both my scanners on a G5 with an Adaptec card installed.
    Ted,

Lenny's actually using an Aztek Premier drum scanner with Aztek's software, Digital PhotoLab (DPL), which only runs on a PC. I think he mentioned that he wants to try running DPL on a Mac through Parallels.
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com
    Instagram: @mikebodenphoto

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    not having to hunt down the USB-PS2 adapter will make the difference that much more palatable.
    I made a mistake. The adapter you need is actually a USB-ADB adapter. The one that I use is the made by QVS
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com
    Instagram: @mikebodenphoto

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Boden View Post
    I made a mistake. The adapter you need is actually a USB-ADB adapter. The one that I use is the made by QVS
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info... if I decide to upgrade v2 to v4 and stay with Trident, I'll source one of these units out.

Best regards.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Lenny,

Why not just install a SCSI card n your Mac? I run both my scanners on a G5 with an Adaptec card installed.
    Hi, Ted

are you still running this setup, if yes, can you give all the details about the setup, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DIGITAL2MEDIA View Post
    Hi, Ted

are you still running this setup, if yes, can you give all the details about the setup, thanks
    Digital2Media,

This thread is 5 years old. Ted has actually passed away in the interim.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Hi Lenny:

Sorry about your friend Ted. Are you still runninyng the Aztek Premier with their software. I have an offer for a brand new one, with their last DPL Pro version added. The way I saw the configuration it came with a server. I only used either hybreds, made by myself or BOXX computers for rendering and have a tremendous output with new Quadra 6000 and Teslacards, so I don't know what version you are running, 7.8? Is this any good, or should I try to configure another dedicated scanning software?

I am new in this forum, and I do appreciate your insight on the Premier scanner, and followed a thread on how much you liked it. I want this one also.

Thankyou, Takomaru

Quote Originally Posted by takomaru View Post
    Hi Lenny:
    Are you still runninyng the Aztek Premier with their software.
    Yes, I think my version is 7.7

The way I saw the configuration it came with a server. I only used either hybreds, made by myself or BOXX computers for rendering and have a tremendous output with new Quadra 6000 and Teslacards, so I don't know what version you are running, 7.8? Is this any good, or should I try to configure another dedicated scanning software?
    Evan is very good at many things and he can put together a good server. This is very helpful if you are new to the game. You would be very certain that the scsi card works, all the components are top-of-the-line. We recently discussed cables (mine had given me some issues) and I got one from granitedigital.com. I've never seen better cables, they are wonderful. I was happy to hear that Evan used them as well. However, they will charge you at a very good rate for the server. If you are experienced in building computers and comfortable installing software, then you certainly can build your own. If anything goes wrong with their server they will offer tech support, but it sounds like you wouldn't need it...

I am new in this forum, and I do appreciate your insight on the Premier scanner, and followed a thread on how much you liked it. I want this one also.
    Thankyou, Takomaru
    Welcome. This is indeed a great forum, my favorite in the photography world. Feel free to contact me directly if I can assist you in any way....

Lenny
    eiger@eigerstudios.com
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing