Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trident software for drum scanner...

Re: Trident software for drum scanner...

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    Yes, I think my version is 7.7

Lenny, hi:

Thank you very much for your response. Now they are running 7.8 with a Pro update, the DPL seems to be running fine.

Evan is very good at many things and he can put together a good server. This is very helpful if you are new to the game. You would be very certain that the scsi card works, all the components are top-of-the-line. We recently discussed cables (mine had given me some issues) and I got one from granitedigital.com. I've never seen better cables, they are wonderful. I was happy to hear that Evan used them as well. However, they will charge you at a very good rate for the server. If you are experienced in building computers and comfortable installing software, then you certainly can build your own. If anything goes wrong with their server they will offer tech support, but it sounds like you wouldn't need it...

I talked with Haddon Stevens, don't know Evan, but gave me a really good glimpse of how yo run the Aztec Premier. He also offered to build the server to my specs, the SCSI card is not replaceable with any USB, so ADAPTEC cards cannot be avoided. He also stated that the rotating of the drum and moving of the carriage to capture each film grain was the bottlenck. I am going with them 100%.

Lenny, how big do you scan 8 x 10's? Separate RGB and Grayscale? i have a lot of space, the reason for wanting the server on 5 drives, for storage capacity. I think this one just made my day. I know it's an old thread, but really appreciate your insight.

Welcome. This is indeed a great forum, my favorite in the photography world. Feel free to contact me directly if I can assist you in any way....

Thank you so much, Lenny. It is a fantastic forum, but for some reason I never became active. I'm using Durst 10 x 10's now but I need a highend digitalizing process.

Thank you,
    Takomaru

Lenny
    eiger@eigerstudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by takomaru View Post
    Lenny, how big do you scan 8 x 10's? Separate RGB and Grayscale? i have a lot of space, the reason for wanting the server on 5 drives, for storage capacity. I think this one just made my day. I know it's an old thread, but really appreciate your insight.
    Takomaru,

I scan the 8x10's at 2666 most of the time. This gives me a 3 Gig image size, or 26,660 pixels total on the long end. That's an 88 inch print at 300 dpi, or 74 inches at 360dpi, larger than I will ever want to print for myself. I always scan in 16 bit RGB. If the image is b&w I use the channel mixer in PhotoShop to select either the Green or a mix of the Green and Blue channels and convert to Grayscale afterwards. This gives approximately a 1 Gig file. Quite manageable. (I transfer it over to a Mac for editing with PhotoShop, leaving the scanner free to do another scan.)

On special requests I have scanned 8x10's at 4,000 and even 8,000 (a 24 Gig file). I charge a little more as it takes many hours for the scanner to accomplish the task. One client wanted to make a 35 foot print... and I made a 20 foot one for a special project with a designer (of a banana - very amusing - but it ended up in Architectural Digest).

Glad to be of service. If you want to come and visit for some training, let me know. ;-)

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Lenny:

Thank you. This fills my needs. For myself sizing is not important, and I do prefer to use the Durst 10 x 19 in analogue. But I do print in ZBE Chromira 50 inch stations, and the resolution is perfect for 8 x 10's. I will have to double my res, and then resize for 4 x 10's, although the Chromira works fantastic in this aspect, I've had to rendr images in 3S at the output size for 50 x 150 inches, for Metallic VC. Fabulous prints.

I also prefer to output in RGB solely, and then convert to B&W by different methods, but that is mainly for myself and print exclusively in K7 custom profiles only on matte paper. This is going to take some time, and I do appreciate the offer for training, so I will contact you by then. We calculated with Aztek after summer, by the end of September.

Thank you for your info, help and and everything, and this is really a great forum.

Takomaru