Thread: ?Books that Show Photo Editing Examples?

?Books that Show Photo Editing Examples?

Hello! I´m getting fairly comfortable with basic editing my B&W scanned 4x5 - setting white and black points, mid tones, global curves.
    When I see prints from those who create fine art, I am blown away. Local photograph changes using dodging, burning, and local contrast control, for example, can dramatically change how a photo looks.
    My problem is that I don´t know what these tools generally can do (as well as the multitude of other digital editing tools), so I have difficulty visualizing the possibilities of my print. I´m doing trial and error, but seeing a lot of before and after teaching examples would be helpful, and start me applying them to my photos in a reasonable manner.
    Are there any good teaching books that go beyond explaining the basics of what these tools do (to dodge, hit this button), and show/explain why to use these tools might benefit a photo (using dodge on this part of a photo is may be good for the following reason, and here are before and after shots to demonstrate the technique).
    Thank you and best regards.

Michael A. Heald

Re: ?Books that Show Photo Editing Examples?

Michael,

After reading glowing reviews that testify to Vincent Versace's being able to do just what you asked for, I purchased his Welcome to Oz. It just showed up but it appears to deliver what was promised.

Michael...you know what would be best for you? Plain old darkroom and analog photo books or Ansel's books, The Print, Examples...books like that. Learn the aesthetic moves the traditional processes have given through the years, and then try to emulate them in PS. Your work will look much more natural.

The book mentioned above is a very advanced one and very limited in scope, although you conceivably could get a lot out of it, but it's definitely not for the beginner. I've always felt that the Barry Haynes PS books were an excellent way for a photographer to learn PS. They're big books with good examples, and although only about a third of the book really covers things relevant to a photographer, they are hands down the best guide to PS from a photogs POV...

Martin Evening's PS For Photographers books are also very, very good...

Hopelessly Lost

Try any one of Martin Evening's books on photoshop. Tons of examples and a great layout to get right into the thick of things.

I like Amadou Diallo's new book.

However, I wouldn't use a book. I don't think you can get there from reading. You need a printing mentor, who can help you thru the choices you will need to make for yourself. Someone who will discuss why you want to make a specific change, not just how.

When you talk about trying to visualize what to do it makes me think you need someone with an understanding of the History of Photography, someone with a lot of background, who possibly has been a teacher before and helped lots of people thru the creative process.

If you tell me where you live, and are interested, I might be able to suggest someone....

Lenny

EigerStudios
    eiger@eigerstudios.com

Unfortunately, I am currently living in Argentina, then I move on in 6 months to Abu Dhabi for my next tour, so I have limited access to conferences, workshops, clubs, etc., in order to get such perspective.
    I've read Adams books, gone over some portfolios, read some magazines, etc., but I guess it will come down to continued trial and error, at least for now in my situation. Best regards.

Michael A. Heald

Hopelessly Lost

if you are not familiar with photoshop then a good photoshop book wouldn't be a bad thing. They are in the 40 - 50 dollar range (US) but shipping might be rough to Argentina. Its true, experience and hands on training is the best way to go but at least a book you can refer back to for specific techniques and workflow options. Once you have a good foundation laid, it is much easier to start experimenting and getting good results, therefore not getting frustrated, and learning more and more.