Thread: Need a nice photo of NY City skyline

Need a nice photo of NY City skyline

Hello friends, it's cj checking in, hoping you are all well these days. I'm writing to ask for use of an image of NY if anyone has one. I constructing a new image about global warming, and I need a good quality panoramic photo of the NY skyline as an overlay. It will be laid on top of a digital composite image of a huge stack of space heaters, to show in scale the amount of heat being generated by our greenhouse gasses. It will look like the picture of NY I recently used on the Stephen Colbert show-- the city laid on top of millions of aluminum cans, to show the scale of our can consumption (that video clip is linked on the homepage of my website if you want to see it).

In this case, the image needs to be a wide image shot from Brooklyn or NJ, with nothing in the foreground, similar to the B&W one below. I don't have funds to pay for the image, but I won't be making any money from it either-- it will only be used on my website and in some slide shows. If in the future I do make any money from it (possibly including it a video of my work), I will be happy to pay the owner of the image an amount commensurate with the usage.

Anyone have such an image they could send me? It just needs to be a few MB, but the higher quality the better.

Cheers to all,

~cj

www.chrisjordan.com

Re: Need a nice photo of NY City skyline

hi,

i don't have such nice photos of manhattan's skyline (yet – visiting nyc in summer again with my sweet linhof, hehe), but you don't need lots of "funds" to buy/find a good picture of nyc's skyline.
    i suggest you some possibilities:

for free:
    1) google images (depending on the image size you need you can choose among XL, L, M, S, XS, etc) - you will find some good shots!
    2) flickr: some people upload their photos to flickr in full/high resolution, so just have a look

for a few $$:
    1) http://www.istockphoto.com/ - there you'll find really good & lots of pictures for $1 ~ $20, which is not that much. if you can't find anything suitable on google or flickr, i am sure you will find something here!

good luck!

Chris,

It will only cost you the same as a nice bottle of wine (hell, maybe even a nasty, cheap bottle of wine).

Don't go down the road of 'if I make money out of it I'll pass the good $$ on'.

Pictures of NY skyline must be about as common as flies on sh!t.

D.

Not to steer you away from anyone here, necessarily, but I'll bet that Norman McGrath would have quite a collection of them. I believe that he published a book on Manhattan Skylines.

Failing in that, let me know if you need a skyline of Forest Grove, Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    a skyline of Forest Grove, Oregon.
    Neil - isn't that really a treeline?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Neil - isn't that really a treeline?
    Kirk,

It used to be!

Neil