Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Installing CS3 and keeping PS 7 ??

Re: Installing CS3 and keeping PS 7 ??

First, TWO machines per copy. (please provide the name of the Adobe representative who says otherwise and I will try to get to the bottom of this, this ONE machine per copy madness has to stop).

Two, academic discounts (which it appears to be the case in the last post) are limited (almost always) and in Adobe's case that's ONE copy limit. However, living in a society that has historically had the most litigious mind sets of all, the above should not come as a surprise. To some, rules just don't apply.

Quote Originally Posted by witold View Post
    First, TWO machines per copy. (please provide the name of the Adobe representative who says otherwise and I will try to get to the bottom of this, this ONE machine per copy madness has to stop).

Two, academic discounts (which it appears to be the case in the last post) are limited (almost always) and in Adobe's case that's ONE copy limit. However, living in a society that has historically had the most litigious mind sets of all, the above should not come as a surprise. To some, rules just don't apply.
    Some time in the previous century, I spent a couple of years doing Technical Support for a large subscription-based industry-specific online service. I still remember some of those days with a mix of strange fondness and amazement at the way people interpret technical documents.

First off, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the majority of users confuse USER and MACHINE in license documentation. It took ages for people to stop substituting 0 (number zero) with o (letter "O", any case) as well as 1 (number one) with l (lower case letter "L"). This is just another of those concepts that look crystal clear to the technical or legal mind but extremely fuzzy to a normal human mind.

Second, the very concept of marketing is based on the fact that most people see what they want to see in an ad or a document. That's why we have the small print, to help this tendency along. People want to have good software package, such as Photoshop. People want to pay less for it, especially when it is almost as expensive as it is good. They also want to have benefits of both. But they also oversee the fineprint that says they can't have both. So they start complaining, both to the company and to the public forums. And along the way, they keep confusing their desires with the actual licensing policy in question until they start believing they are really interchangeable.

But you have to admit, reading all this can be fun, in a sort of Comedy Central kind of way.

Right Marko, dead on. Including the "... it can be fun" part.