Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing CS3 and keeping PS 7 ??

jetcode

Re: Installing CS3 and keeping PS 7 ??

Quote Originally Posted by witold View Post
    jetcode,
    I was plainly copying Adobe's license agreement. I have not been through Adobe's Photoshop activation routine, so if you could activate more than two WITHOUT calling in and telling them why, then Adobe does not follow its own rules. We did install Adobe Acrobat Pro CS about a year ago and could NOT go past second machine without explaining.
    They are a freindly lot at Adobe and I've never installed more than that on my desktop and my laptop. I also have two copies of CS2 and 1 of PS7 and 1 of PS4.

I must say it's a strange thing. Either Adobe unofficially dropped it's requirements, or there is some code hack nobody is mentioning. Although there is no denying, their OFFICIAL policy remains in print as stated in my earlier post.

OK guys, hopefully Adobe police is not reading this forum. I guess it's a good thing this is not Hollywood's backyard, otherwise you would all be in court awaiting your sentence.

Adobe is, if anything, becoming more stringent than before. One of my friends, an IT guy at Textron, told me that Adobe had called them asking for a full listing of all computers on which their software was running. They informed him that they would be asking for additional license fees if there were excesses that were not accounted for. So a warning to the wise is sufficient, as someone once said.

I bought the CS3 upgrade and it allows installation on only one computer per the licensing agreement to which I agreed.

In response to the original question, I had both CS 2 and 7 running prior to the upgrade.

Donald,
    According to Photoshop CS3 page on Adobe's web site, single user license is good for two machines.

Here is what Adobe says on its activation page:

"May I use the software on more than one computer at a time?
    - The activation process supports installation on two machines. The Adobe product license agreement allows the primary user to install the product on a primary computer and also on a home or laptop computer for his or her use, provided that the two copies are not used simultaneously. While the activation process supports installing and activating Adobe software on two machines, the usage of the product on the second computer is restricted to the user who licensed the software. Allowing others to use a second copy of the software violates the product license agreement."

So you should be able to upgrade on 2 machines.

And for those who have upgraded from "precious" versions, the policy SHOULD be, that you can only have the latest one or it would otherwise violate the upgrade logic. However, I have not looked it up.

I also urge everyone to read Adobe's activation page HERE. There is some "interesting" stuff I was not aware of. Specifically regarding transfer of activation.

And Lightroom BTW, does NOT require activation, just like Elements.

Witold, Thanks for clarifying this. I was mistaken in my understanding about the number of machines. I apparently interpreted the number of users as the number of machines.

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    You are susceptible to DLL conflicts that are provided in each release. A DLL stands for "Dynamic Link Library" and was designed for small capacity memory systems so that when a program loaded the necessary functions in the DLL were loaded at the same time or loaded when necessary, and unloaded when finished freeing up memory.
    I have CS2 and CS3 Extended installed, activated and running on both my desktop and my laptop. No problems with activation and no problems with both versions running on the same computer BUT they cannot run at the same time.

I'm on a Mac, though. DLL conflicts you mention are typical for Windows.

Thanks for everyone's response. The printed guide that came with my full CS3 program stipulates the license is for one machine only and that to install and activate it on a second machine would require uninstalling it on the first machine.

Personally, I think that policy stinks since many people with laptops would like to legally install it on both their machines. Heck even Windows XP allowed installation on two machines.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Dan V View Post
    Thanks for everyone's response. The printed guide that came with my full CS3 program stipulates the license is for one machine only and that to install and activate it on a second machine would require uninstalling it on the first machine.

Personally, I think that policy stinks since many people with laptops would like to legally install it on both their machines. Heck even Windows XP allowed installation on two machines.
    sounds like a marketing scare tactic - engineering knows better

Dan V,
    Have you bothered checking the links I posted? It is there in PLAIN language, one primary and one secondary computer. And the activation server is set up to do that. That's ADOBE speaking, not a forum member.

Just to complicate and add the bizarre, I just finished a studio strobe college course with a fellow who had CS3 on his laptop. Using a Nikon program his laptop became the monitor for his D200. He is buying a new Mac desk machine with both Mac and PC OS. Having heard the one machine per copy rule, he decided to buy the Mac OS version for the new desk box. Adobe told him he can not buy two copies of CS3 in twelve months. Having spent my career in sales trying to meet and exceed quotas, I was dumbfounded. He is appealing to higher ups at Adobe.

John