Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing CS3 and keeping PS 7 ??

Installing CS3 and keeping PS 7 ??

According to Adobe, I can install CS3 on only one machine which will be have to be my desktop; but since I have ver 7.0 on both my desktop and laptop, is it possible to keep ver 7 on my desktop machine along with CS3 or am I just asking for trouble?

Well, I have half a mind!

Re: Installing CS3 and keeping PS 7 ??

Dan, I have 7 and CS3 on my PC - no problems so far...............

Preston Birdwell

Dan,

I have PS 6.0 and CS-2 on my machine and there have been no problems. I did read recently that it is inadvisable to have two different versions open at the same time. The reason wasn't stated, but I would assume there could be conflicts, especially if both versions are using the same partition for the scratch disk.

-PB
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Dan V View Post
    According to Adobe, I can install CS3 on only one machine which will be have to be my desktop; but since I have ver 7.0 on both my desktop and laptop, is it possible to keep ver 7 on my desktop machine along with CS3 or am I just asking for trouble?
    I have CS2 on several machines, the real licensing issue is not the number of machines but the number of users. As far as I know you can install CS3 on your laptop, the machine at work, and the machine at home, as long as you are the sole user, or that there is only one user at a time. Adobe may have tighter regulations for CS3 but that has been an industry standard for a long time and some software provide a key exchange mechanism for enabling the software on each computer.

I once bought a PS7 copy that was shipped to me from Peshiwar Pakistan. Needless to say it was bootleg and I installed it after confessing to an Adobe tech who gave me his blessings. The point is no one is going to knock on your door if you are a single user with multiple installs. If you are a business with employees the chances of detection go up because there is a group that makes their living inspecting licensing in businesses. I am a one man shop, no problem.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Dan,

I have PS 6.0 and CS-2 on my machine and there have been no problems. I did read recently that it is inadvisable to have two different versions open at the same time. The reason wasn't stated, but I would assume there could be conflicts, especially if both versions are using the same partition for the scratch disk.

-PB
    You are susceptible to DLL conflicts that are provided in each release. A DLL stands for "Dynamic Link Library" and was designed for small capacity memory systems so that when a program loaded the necessary functions in the DLL were loaded at the same time or loaded when necessary, and unloaded when finished freeing up memory.

I believe CS3 requires activation, which will prevent multiple machine installation (short of calling in and telling them that you chnged computers). However, I'm pretty sure CS3 can be legally installed on 2 machines, so long as only one is in use at any given time. If both machines are connected (as on a network), only one will allow software to run.

Yeap, I've just checked Adobe.com and CS3 goes on 2 machines with mandatory activation within 30-days of installation.

Here is the link and scroll down to see activation requirements.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by witold View Post
    I believe CS3 requires activation, which will prevent multiple machine installation (short of calling in and telling them that you chnged computers). However, I'm pretty sure CS3 can be legally installed on 2 machines, so long as only one is in use at any given time. If both machines are connected (as on a network), only one will allow software to run.
    CS2 (in an adobe collection) requires activation too and I have it installed on several machines

jetcode,
    I was plainly copying Adobe's license agreement. I have not been through Adobe's Photoshop activation routine, so if you could activate more than two WITHOUT calling in and telling them why, then Adobe does not follow its own rules. We did install Adobe Acrobat Pro CS about a year ago and could NOT go past second machine without explaining.

I have my copy of CS2 on 4 different machines, 2 laptops as well as two desktops that are all networked together all were activated with no problems and have been running for over a year now.

Dave