Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New B&W Magazine

vickersdc

New B&W Magazine

Hi everyone,

After reading comments made on this and other forums, many people seem to be 'unhappy' with the photography magazines out there - often citing the increase in articles of digital equipment reviews and Photoshop how-to's.

I decided to create a new magazine - one that deals with traditional image making, whether that's 35mm HP5, glass plate negatives or cyanotypes. Although I've only been working on it for a matter of days, there are several interested parties and offers of support and articles.

It is the intention to provide articles online at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com on a weekly basis and then to provide a paper-based copy once a quarter. Several people mentioned that they prefer to sit down and read a real magazine - it's hard to relax in your favourite armchair with a cup of tea and an Apple Mac perched on your lap ;-)

The first article is due to go live in mid-January and I hope that you'll visit the site and lend your support - this really is supposed to be a magazine for the traditional photographic community, written by us, for us and directed by us. The direction, success or failure of the venture is in the hands of the community, so really hope you'll take a look, subscribe to the RSS newsfeed and maybe even submit an article or two.

The site is up and running right now, providing daily updates on progress as we head towards our real go-live date.

Please visit http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com to find out more.

Many thanks,
    David Vickers.

Re: New B&W Magazine

Will check it out. Thanks!

Good Luck! The name is a little ponderous though. Creative Image would be stronger.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

In the desert...

Smile Re: New B&W Magazine

Good luck Dave,

However I for one am not at all unhappy. IMNSHO there is more really interesting "stuff" going on in traditional and historic processes and digital imaging than ever before! There are good quality publications (always room for another) and a revival of interest and investment in photographic art. I have a freezer full of ULF film, a guilty conscience of not exposing it in a more timely manner, a set of "new" 5 x 7 enlargers purchased for a song to furnish a teaching studio, process lenses once costing thousands which cover ULF are available for reasonable prices, quality 35 mm systems are available for less than pennys on the dollar, 10 mp cameras a few months ago costing thousands are 195 dollars and change, there is renewed appreciation in the nuance of the upright bass and the personality of good tube amps...and there are some really good quality photo mags available. If your mag is really really good, and can be brought to fruition, it could be successful. The community is a receptive community...It was nt that long ago that Dave's Focus was the new kid on the block, overcame some rough starts and obsticles but look at it now! It certainly has defined and taken its respectable place in the market...Focus, View Camera and Lenswork all have their audience and I feel have raised a high bar indeed. And there are many more fine publications in different aspects concerning the trade of imaging and specifically Black and White...

On line one finds sites like the Alternative Process site, with publications, formulas, articles and galleries, featuring many of the best artists in the medium, many of whom are members of this forum.There has never been another time in history when information was so readily available and so freely given and shared by community...it is the best of times for photographic arts and photographic art education....there is change but there is no unhappiness here.

Ever learning, ever growing. Mark Carstens's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Will check it out. Thanks!
    I'm down with that.

Looking forward to it, in fact!

~Mark

PS - Hey, ya, Dave Wooten! Been a long time!

In the desert...

Smile Re: New B&W Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carstens View Post
    I'm down with that.

Looking forward to it, in fact!

~Mark

PS - Hey, ya, Dave Wooten! Been a long time!
    Hey Mark! Keep the Faith!

Old School Wayne

Yay! Looking forward to the print version of it.

Wayne

vickersdc

Well, things are certainly moving on apace, with articles being written on a wide range of subject matter, offers of images and a number of other things going on behind the scenes.

As well as the online magazine at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com, you can now email the magazine at creativeimagemaker at yahoo.co.uk with your comments, ideas, articles or images.

There's some decisions that need to be made regarding the paper copy - please visit the site, read through the issues and add your comments. In fact, whilst you're there, why not subscribe to the RSS newsfeed and then you can have the articles delivered to your computer automatically.

I'm also after featuring events, exhibitions and camera clubs - so if you know of a worthy cause let me know.

Thanks everyone,
    David Vickers.
    http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

David,
    Let me start with best of luck wishes. What follows is not meant to undercut your wings and I truly hope your noble efforts will benefit the entire photographic community.

Here is my problem,
    You have set up a site at a google blogspot, which is well, ... a blog, on top of that, you have set up an email with Yahoo. I hope I'm wrong and I hope you will get the support you're asking for or ... it will become YOUR blog on photography, which in itself could be just as good as anything out there.

My suggestion is to set up a dedicated site (and I would imagine you're thinking about it), which can be had for little to start and as bandwidth demand increases it can be transferred to a more dedicated server. Having a specific site gives you a more "committed" look right of the bat, allows you to set up a blog that has a "pure" address etc. Of course this approach would take a lot more to get it going and maintain, but perhaps the rewards would be higher.

Regardless of what you may be thinking now, you should buy a domain name RIGHT NOW. You're looking at some $6-$8 a year and you can then set your blogspot site to reflect the same name. This will make it really easy to make a transition at a later date.

On the plus side, your site/blog has already better feel than the stubborn ViewCamera, which simply refuses to learn.

To follow up on some the questions you've asked on your site:
    I'm not sure about going hard copy right away, but if you do then I'd say B&W would do just fine. In the end it's all about what's in it and how it's put together. I'm unfamiliar with LuLu (although I tend to think she's good looking) and I'll check "her" out when I get a chance. However, hard copy is a completely different planet and it may cause problems that you possibly might not want to deal with at the early stages of building up content, reputation and followers.

Regards,
    Witold Grabiec

I agree with Witold, to an extent - the blog's there, but where exactly is the magazine? While both provide something called "web presence", those are two totally different animals which serve very different purposes. View Camera, on the other hand, does have a website. Rudimentary and obsolete as it may be, but it still is a real magazine with a real website.

Unless you plan to have something really new and interesting every day, about a magazine that still does not exist, a blog may turn to be counter-productive for your stated purpose. Try as I may, I just can't see how anybody could provide fresh news about a stable and mature niche of a stable and mature art form.

Yesterday's news are not news, they're history. And we live in the times and in an environment in which few care about history.