Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linhof 3 way levelling head question?

Re: Linhof 3 way levelling head question?

Think I might super glue that "Linhof Aufschweiden Spritzelbaden screw" in!

if you remember to tilt the top down after you use it, you'll "lock" the screw in place and it can't unscrew itself and fall out.

In Linhof's defense, it is one really nice screw. It may, in fact, be the best screw I've ever experienced in my entire life. And once you get into Linhof, you get experienced ;-)

Am gonna cut and paste your advice onto Gitzo's leg!

The head you are interested in has to be one of the finest heads ever designed. I own two 3663's.
    Mind you, .....It is a knuckle breaker, because there is no friction control. Loosen a setting and the rig will fly down if you do not hold it. Why it is great, is the toggle levers which tighten the head. They are just such a pleasure to use, and they stay where tightened, never drifting.
    I use mine with an Arca Quick Release holder. I would recommend some kind of Quick release device. The Linhof is good, but I like the arca better. One plate on the base, and one on the drop bed. You can slide back an forth balancing the weight of the rig, on your tripod, when you are using a long lens.
    For instance; with my 360 I am under the drop bed, attached to the front Arca plate. With the normal or wide, I am attached to the body plate. Understand?

good luck

Rafael

I'm a self-confessed tripod collector. The best head I own is the Linhof.

I have an RRS arca-style clamp screwed to the top of it and it works very, very well.

The RRS B35 plate was attached to a Gandolfi Variant 4x5, it now on my new Chamonix 45.

All of this on a Linhof twin-shank or one of the Ries tripods make this an excellent support !

I'm very pleased with the new head, it seems so far to handle a 6lb+ Metal Field effortlessly, being rock solid at any angle with bellows at full extension and with minimal tightening of the levers. Although very secure, I'm not entirely sure if I'm comfortable using it without a QR system. I'm slowly getting used to mounting the camera straight onto the head, but I'm concerned that I might in time -throw in a little haste- thread the "Linhof Aufschweiden Spritzelbaden screw" or 'possibly' worse the screw mount on the Tech! Maybe look into a QR plate. Will see how things go as I move along.

kev

"Just a little warning - make sure which mounting screw size you need there are both 3/8 and 1/4 available. I bought the head with a "wrong" one and had to order another screw separately (was about $30 or so)"

Matus I didn't have any problems I was supplied with both size screws.
    kev