View Poll Results: Would you buy Ilford Delta 400 film if available in sheets?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Would use 100 or less sheets/year

35 40.23%
  • Would use 100-500 sheets/year

38 43.68%
  • Would use more than 500 sheets/year

2 2.30%
  • Would buy 4"x5" size

64 73.56%
  • Would buy 5"x7" size

24 27.59%
  • Would buy 8"x10" size

30 34.48%
  • Would buy ULF sizes

5 5.75%
  • Do you use Delta 400 in 35mm or 120 sizes currently?

27 31.03%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ilford Delta 400 in sheet film. Survey of interes.

Ilford Delta 400 in sheet film. Survey of interes.

I communicated with Terry Bevens at Ilford USA that they should consider making Ilford Delta 400 available in sheet sizes. They indicated that while they have no plans to make the film, they do listen to consumer feedback.

If you are interested in seeing this film in production, which is quite distinctive from Tmax 400, add to this thread and I will bring the results to the attention of Ilford.

Please indicate your interest and provide an honest assessment of how many sheets of 400 Delta you would expect to buy per year and in what sheet size(s).

Re: Ilford Delta 400 in sheet film. Survey of interes.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyon View Post
    I communicated with Terry Bevens at Ilford USA that they should consider making Ilford Delta 400 available in sheet sizes. They indicated that while they have no plans to make the film, they do listen to consumer feedback.

If you are interested in seeing this film in production, which is quite distinctive from Tmax 400, add to this thread and I will bring the results to the attention of Ilford.

Please indicate your interest and provide an honest assessment of how many sheets of 400 Delta you would expect to buy per year and in what sheet size(s).
    Till they discontinued it, that was my favorite film. Delta 100 just didn't do it for me, so I switched to HP5. But if they brought it back, I would use it. I have used six boxes of 25 5x7 and 3 boxes of 100 4x5 in the last year. (Please don't ask how many keeps I got. Too embarassing.) Add on a couple of boxes of 8x10.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

TMY is my favorite film, due to its extremely long, straight density slope and its ability to produce negatives with enough DR for POP, salted paper, and albumen printing.

Another plus is TMY's outstanding reciprocity failure performance.

How does Delta 400 differ from TMY?

Eric Biggerstaff

Toypn,

I am very fond of Delta 100 and would try the Delta 400 if it were in sheets. I used about 600 sheets of 4X5 Delta 100 and FP4+ this year and about 125 sheets of 5X7 FP4+. No telling how much Delta 400 I would use but I would like to try it.

Toyon - I would suggest setting up a poll on this thread so you can track how many say "yes" and how many say "no".
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

I'd use it in 2x3, 4x5, 5x7, 8x10, 7x17, and 11x14 if it existed. How many sheets depends on what I'm working on at any given time. Figure I'd spend around $1000 a year or more for it.

My usual film in that speed is Tri-X. I don't care for TMY or HP-5+. Delta 400 and Tri-X have different looks, but I like them both. Very nice highlights, smooth midtones, and rich blacks with Delta 400. It looks great in Perceptol, which is an added convenience, since it's an off the shelf developer.

I should also mention that I like having an emulsion that I can use in small formats as well as large formats (or at least one that's similar like TX and TXP), so if I could get Delta 400 in sheet sizes, I would use more of it in rollfilm formats.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 6-Dec-2007 at 12:02.

Big Negs Rock!

I'd like to try it. I use Delta 100, FP-4, and Bergger 200. I shoot in 4x5, 5x7, & 8x10. I don't shoot nearly as much film as some of you guys, but I like the ratios of keepers I have. :-D
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Thumbs up Re: Ilford Delta 400 in sheet film. Survey of interes.

I've had 2 wishes for Ilford. First, that they package Delta 100 and HP5+ in a Fuji-compatible "rapid load;" (I believe they could do this because they are already involved in cooperative marketing deals with FujiFilm Japan) and second, that they make Delta 400 in LF sizes.

I don't see the first happening for another 4 or 5 years, but I think the second could get done more quickly; in fact, I'll bet they could have it ready for a Christmas 2008 release.

I'd buy at least 100 sheets of Delta 400 4x5 if Ilford started making it.

Good Shooting.

/s/ David
    David Beal
    Memories Preserved Photography, LLC
    "Making tomorrow's memories by
    capturing today's happiness" (R)

It's superb film with an excellent tonal distribution. I would use it in 5x7 size. It would be great if there was enough support for a production run to be economically viable. However, I'm sure that it will not happen without a group "purchase", from the response that I got from one of the Harman/Ilford directors when I specifically asked him about the possibility of Delta 400 cut sheet film being made at the Open Day that they held last June in Mobberley.

Always wondered what happened to Delta 400. Used one 25-sheet box and then it disappeared. That was quite a while ago. I would like to see it available again.

I would be prepared to purchase 100 sheets of 4x5, 50 sheets of 8x10, and 100 sheets of 2x3 (if Ilford will ever support this format again) for immediate use. (My freezer is running low on HP5.)

This would be great news. Now if they would bring back SFX I would really be happy.
    al

Delta 400 is a nice film. While I'd be happy to use it in both 4x5 and 8x10 for some work, it would correspondingly reduce the amount of FP4+ and HP5+ I use. So, there would be no net gain from me for Ilford.