Thread: Archive Creator, great archiving program

Archive Creator, great archiving program

Search did not return any results, so I wonder if anyone is aware of this program, that makes archiving of digital files a snap.

Before I go any further, I don't want to be accused of "promoting" a product, although I am, just for noble reasons.

It's called Archive Creator and a 30-day free trial should be enough for anyone to see it work (full function, so you can do some real archiving in the process).

Although I would think there is programs of similar capabilities, I thought some of you might find it as useful as I. I especially like the mutli-burner capability, which will utilize all burners hooked up to the computer for a multi-disk archiving. It also verifies burnt disks bit-for-bit to ensure quality burn (this may be turned off, as it adds time to the burning process).

Windows only though.

Here is a link to a tutorial, which explains the program in a pretty good detail.

Re: Archive Creator, great archiving program

Have you tried Extensis Portfolio? I personally don't use this application, but my fiancée and a friend of mine do. They seem to like it.
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com
    Instagram: @mikebodenphoto

Mike,
    I like the Archive Creator and posted for general knowledge. It is not what Extensis Portfolio is, although it appears to be a great program. For now I have Lightroom to take care of my organizing/sharing stuff. Archive Creator is purely an archiving program with some twists I have not seen anywhere. At $60 I think it's a good buy for what and how it does.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I use Retropspect for my archiving, which I've chosen to backup to LTO tape. At one point I tried backing up to DVDs, but I quickly ran out of space and time. With my current system, a LTO2 tape holds up to 200GB uncompressed. I can kick off a backup and walk away for several hours instead of babysitting the computer swapping out DVDs.
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com
    Instagram: @mikebodenphoto

Well, Archive Creator was put together for photographers and does things that is not usual part of any archiving/backup package. When an archiving session is porcessed and spans across multiple disks, each disk gets a thumbnail index of ALL images from that session. I just did some 20GB or files, which went to 4 disks. The index itself took about 300MB on each disk, but if I need to find any particular image later, I can pull any disk and I'll know soon enough if it's on it or on another (and which). Babysitting is also sort of taken care of by supporting multiple burners, which given burner prices isn't expensive or difficult set up. This allows one to load every burner with a disk and walk away, at least for the time it takes to burn them all. There is a lot more in this program that I like, but I put a link in there so people can actually check it out for themselves.

Soon I'm gonna sound like I'm making money off of it so I'll stop here.