Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "N" in Rodagon N or El Nikor N Lenses

The "N" in Rodagon N or El Nikor N Lenses

I've been seeing Rodagon N and El Nikor N lenses lately. Does anyone know what does the "N" means in each case?

Re: The "N" in Rodagon N or El Nikor N Lenses

Newer versions, though I don't know what, if any, are the optical differences. I have four EL-Nikkors (50, 80, 105, 135), the 80 and 135 purchased new in the mid-'90s and the 50 and 105 some years before that. The shorter focal lengths (50, 80, 105) share new barrel cosmetics and are designated "N" in their instruction sheets (as opposed to just plain EL-Nikkor). The 135 is in a more traditional barrel, but still with a more modern finish than some older EL-Nikkors I've seen, and is designated "A" in the instruction sheet.

I imagine Bob Salomon can tell us about the timing of the changes in the Rodenstock line.

Do or do not. There is no try.

I believe, although I can't remember where I saw it, that there are optical differences between the N and non-N EL-Nikkors, at least the 105mm. As I recall, even the names of the two lens designers were cited. It's possible one of those names began with M, now I'm really getting to the limits of my memory.

I don't see anything related to this in my bookmarks file, or in a raft of saved documents, so it's basically mental lint. Sorry I can't be more definitive.

steve

The Apo-Rodagon-N is the enlargement-lens corrected for normal enlargement work. The Rodagon WA is the wide-angle enlarger lens and the Apo-Rodagon-D is optimized for duplicating work in the range of 1,5:1 to 1:3. It's the same for EL-Nikkor's from the mid-'90s and later.

Peter K

Peter, what is the same for El-Nikkors from the mid-'90s and later?

I ask because I have a 1982 El-Nikkor brochure that lists some -N and some older designs. I also have some older Nikon data sheets. Its pretty clear that the 50/2.8N, 80/5.6N, and 105/5.6N are redesigns, not clear what the redesign was intended to accomplish. It did reduce the 80's and 105's coverage a little.

I see no sign of a wide angle El-Nikkor or an apochromatized regular El Nikkor or an El-Nikkor optimized for huge enlargements (pace Rodagon-G, G-Componon) or for 1:1 duplicating. What have I missed?

Sorry Dan, it's only the "N". This is used for printing-lenses, optical-printing of cine-films, also. From your information it looks like Nikon was the first with the "N".

Peter K

Peter, are you thinking of the semi-mythical Printing Nikkors? These were used for optical printing of cine films, were optimized for 1:1. I believe -- haven't seen the specs -- that they have limited coverage and weren't intended to be used as general purpose enlarging lenses. I don't think that Nikon's range of enlarging lenses was quite as broad as Rodenstock's or Schneider's.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan, the "Printing-Nikkor 150mm F/2.8 N" has a picture angle from only 6° 00', so "N" is possible for "narrow".
    The 95mm is optimized for 1:2 and has 12° 10' and the 105mm with 14° 40'.

Do you know the "C.E.Rokkor" enlarging lenses from Minolta?

Peter K

Peter, Minolta's C.E. Rokkor-X enlarging lenses have a very good reputation. The 30/2.8, in particular, is supposed to be the best lens for enlarging half frame 35 mm. But I bought an 80/5.6 to use as a macro lens on 2x3; it failed acceptance testing, not sharp enough.

I use enlarging lenses for macro work. The best I've tried so far is a 4"/5.6 Enlarging Pro Raptar. Phenomenal lens, quite competitive with a known good 100/6.3 Luminar at the apertures I normally use.

Dan, the C.E.Rokkor 2,8/30 is my smallest enlarging lens but not the worst one. I've found the 30mm and 60mm accidentialy, two of my best enlarging lenses.

Peter K