Thread: X-Rite 320 densitometer

X-Rite 320 densitometer

My X-Rite 320, labeled "Konica Nice Print System", is no longer making reflectance measurements. The bulb is still good but the displayed reflectance values are very wrong and there's an unpleasant crackling sound inside the main unit when I power it up. (Transmission measurements are still good but the crackling doesn't inspire confidence that will last for long.)

I did a quick check of the X-Rite website but didn't find any info on that model. I was hoping there might be a circuit diagram or repair manual available for download.

Has anyone fixed a 320? (Or even tried to fix one and given up?)

Thanks,
    Chris

Re: X-Rite 320 densitometer

This is one of those, related-but-not-quite-the-right-answer, type of posts.

I DID have good results by contacting the MFG of my outdated Tobias densitometer to get a replacement part. The sales recipt on my densitometer goes back to 1979 and Tobias still had repair kits for the arm spring. Don't know if X-rite would be this helpful.

I agree that having a shop manual is important. I had a power supply glitch a few months ago, and I could not have 'guessed' at the correct reference voltages indicated in the shop manual.

I sent an email to X-Rite earlier today: Manual availability? Do they do repairs or sell parts? Do they sell re-furbished units? I'll share their response if and when I receive one. There must be a few 320s still in use out there.

Chris

In my dealings with Xrite on a separate issue, they indicated that the only replacement parts that they would sell was the bulb and calibration standards. I hope that you will be able to reconcile your problems.

It sounds like I'll need to find a new (used) densitometer if I want to continue to make reflectance measurements. Response from X-Rite today:

"The 320 has been out of production for over 15 years so there is very little we can do for you. It is a discontinued/unsupported instrument. I am attaching the operation manual, no service manual was ever produced. Very few parts exist, only a scattered few that were used on later units."

I'll try opening it up if and when the transmission portion ceases to function but w/o a repair manual or replacement parts repairing it seems like a long shot.

Chris

Try emailing Sam Coniglio at <samconiglio@yahoo.com>. Sam repairs X-Rite densitometers and may have parts. At ay rate he would be a good resource person.

Preston