Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nord Enlarger?

Nord Enlarger?

I am looking for any information on Nord enlargers, I have found someone locally getting rid of one for a song but I can't find much information on them. This is reported to go upto 4X5 with a dichroic head and was described as being about the size of a refrigerator. It is reported to be complete but the seller was not sure about negative carriers. Does anyone know what sort of negative carriers these use? Also as it has been this difficult to find info on it I expect that it is hard (or expensive) to find parts, does anyone know where I might be able to find a negative carrier if it is not included? I expect to probably try to fabricate something if it is not included I just don't know how what it looks like for these.

Any info people might have or photos would be great. Thanks,

-Will

Re: Nord Enlarger?

Hi There
    I worked on a Nord enlarger in 1974/75
    It is quite large, it is a RGB Printer if I remember correctly,
    I have worked in many labs since that day, and have seen thousands of enlargers in working situations , and I have never seen a Nord since those first days at school.
    My gut feeling would be to take it for free, and see if you can make it work, I would not have a clue as to where to find working manuals or even parts for this enlarger.
    I was quite happy using this enlarger and if it sets up easily and works I see no reason not to use it.
    Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorzen View Post
    I am looking for any information on Nord enlargers, I have found someone locally getting rid of one for a song but I can't find much information on them. This is reported to go upto 4X5 with a dichroic head and was described as being about the size of a refrigerator. It is reported to be complete but the seller was not sure about negative carriers. Does anyone know what sort of negative carriers these use? Also as it has been this difficult to find info on it I expect that it is hard (or expensive) to find parts, does anyone know where I might be able to find a negative carrier if it is not included? I expect to probably try to fabricate something if it is not included I just don't know how what it looks like for these.

Any info people might have or photos would be great. Thanks,

-Will

Thanks, it's not free but it's cheap enough that it might as well be (less than I paid for my last couple negative carriers). The current owner states that it was made in the 80's (well from, I'm interpreting that as made) but that may be off. Thanks for the info. I am planning of grabbing it, just trying to find as much info as I can ahead of time.

Where are you finding these deals?!

Well this one is local to home not PA otherwise I probably would have given you a heads up on it ;-).

My first job was printing on a Nord. That model printed with RGB controls, rather than M + Y as on dichroics. If that is the case with yours, you will have to test for the proper filtrations for B/W, and reverse your color printing mind. Be aware that parts are long since gone, but if it's a good price "what the heck".
    r.j. phil
    www.rjphil.com
    N.E. Large Format Photography Collective

Quote Originally Posted by rjphil View Post
    My first job was printing on a Nord. That model printed with RGB controls, rather than M + Y as on dichroics. If that is the case with yours, you will have to test for the proper filtrations for B/W, and reverse your color printing mind. Be aware that parts are long since gone, but if it's a good price "what the heck".
    Yeah, RGB, and weren't the controls down low around baseboard level, rather than actually on the head? I remember an almost integrated color analyzer also, but perhaps I am wrong, my memory is foggy.

Yes, my memory is foggy too but I do think the setup was to sit down and the command center was low.I too remember a integrated analyzer which I used to get a starting balance and then worked manually from there. Every other student worked on Chromega using a yellow and magenta and thought I was nuts working in rgb, but I didn't have to much trouble, 35years later I am printing with a rgb laser printer that I sit down at as well.
    Somethings never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    Yeah, RGB, and weren't the controls down low around baseboard level, rather than actually on the head? I remember an almost integrated color analyzer also, but perhaps I am wrong, my memory is foggy.

Nord made long roll cameras that were used for school portraits and such. Quite similar to the Beatty - Coleman cameras but they had more film holder options - 70mm, 46mm and 35mm. The enlarger may have been originally sold as part of a system. Interesting find.

I'm not in my studio so I can't give you details but why not just contact them directly? They are still in business, they were exhibiting at Photo Plus.