Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a long(ish) lens for 5x7 please

Suggestions for a long(ish) lens for 5x7 please

I've been working with my sole lens- a 180mm Sironar-N since I got my camera a year ago. I'm starting to think I'd like something in the 360mm to 420mm as a portrait/short tele lens to compress the subject field. Ideally it would be sharp, small and light, and in the $500-$750 range mounted in an accurate shutter. Any ideas, or offers of anything for sale? If I don't pick one up in the next few months, I'm hoping to troll for something at foto3, but don't really know what to look for. One other thing-my camera (ShenHao) still has the factory GG, so a fast/bright lens would be nice.

p.s. I'd additionally be interested in one of the soft beater protrait lenses that I see gaining some popularity. If Jim Galli reads this post- I saw (and loved) your article in View Camera last month. Any suggestions for my 5x7???

Thanks,
    Tim

Re: Suggestions for a long(ish) lens for 5x7 please

What size is the lens board? My Agfa has 5-1/4" lensboards and a 14" APO Artar fits very well, even at f/9 it lights up the gg nicely in a dial set compur. My other 14"er is a f/6.3 Commercial Ektar--a splendid lens in a big #5 Universal. You should be able to find these in your price range.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Scott Davis

You can probably also still find a 19" Artar or a 450 Nikkor-M in your price range. Both are f9 lenses (the artar MIGHT be an f11, but I forget). A 19" Red Dot Apo-Artar might be out of the range, but an older Artar should fall in that range. If you go for one in barrel, it will definitely be in your range.

15" Tele-Raptar. It will cover nicely, and doesn't require much more bellows extension than your 18 cm lens, leaving the camera nicely balanced.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

15" Wolly Raptar in an Alphax shutter will leave you lots of budget.

This is from a 14" Apo-Artar on 5x7.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    What size is the lens board? My Agfa has 5-1/4" lensboards and a 14" APO Artar fits very well, even at f/9 it lights up the gg nicely in a dial set compur. My other 14"er is a f/6.3 Commercial Ektar--a splendid lens in a big #5 Universal. You should be able to find these in your price range.
    The Shen Hao lensboard is (I think) Linhof dimensions. I measured mine and it is 3 3/4 inches wide aby 4 inches tall. This sits in a lensboard adapter that can be removed giving a hole 5" by 5", so I could use either size, I guess.

Thanks everybody so far for the suggestions. I hope they keep coming.

Tim

I find that I use 300-360 more than other focal lengths for a longish but not LONG lens on 5x7. I also use the 450 Nikkor a lot and that would be my recommendation. If you can find one under 900-1000 grab it. OTOH, it is neither small nor light in a #3 shutter.

A G Claron should meet your price and size needs.

Hi Tim. Thanks for the nice compliment. I must have something around the place for portraits. A 14" Heliar would do both jobs well for you but you'd have to learn to shoot without a shutter. Maybe a Packard could go on the 5X5 board with standoff's.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I use two 360ish lenses, one fast and one portable.

The fast and bright one is a 360mm f:5.6 Symmar Convertible, in a Compound 5 shutter. Nice lens, but too big to carry.

The portable one is a 355mm f:9 G-Claron, in a Compound 3 shutter. This one will fit on a Technika lens board.