Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Scitex EverSmart Pro scanner

  1. #1

    Scitex EverSmart Pro scanner

    Hi to all,

    There is this Scitex EverSmart Pro that is for sale in my area, just wondering a few things after a quick search both in goolge and in this forum. So from what I understand, it will not run on anything higher than OS 10.2? or is it limited to OS 9 only?

    The seller is including the Mac that it runs on so I am assuming that all the softwares are there.

    How often does these machine break down, and are they still repairable with reasonable price tag?

    Anything else I should be concern about this scanner?

    What is a reasonable price for it? $1000?

    A big thank you in advance.

    Robert

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,164

    Re: Scitex EverSmart Pro scanner

    Quote Originally Posted by fuegocito View Post
    Hi to all,

    There is this Scitex EverSmart Pro that is for sale in my area, just wondering a few things after a quick search both in goolge and in this forum. So from what I understand, it will not run on anything higher than OS 10.2? or is it limited to OS 9 only?

    The seller is including the Mac that it runs on so I am assuming that all the softwares are there.

    How often does these machine break down, and are they still repairable with reasonable price tag?

    Anything else I should be concern about this scanner?

    What is a reasonable price for it? $1000?

    A big thank you in advance.

    Robert
    Robert,

    If the scanner is in good working condition $1000 is a great price, especially with the computer included. The EverSmart scanners are very robust units that were designed to run 24/7/365. Problem is, some of them may have been doing that so it is good to know something about the history of the unit. But if you can see actually see it work that is a great price.

    Unless the Pro has been upgraded to Pro II it will only run on MAC OS9. I run my pro with a MAC G4 with OS 9.2.2.


    Sandy King

  3. #3

    Re: Scitex EverSmart Pro scanner

    Thanks Sandy,

    The upgrade to Pro II you've mentioned, is it a physical update or a software update. The scanner is from a former service bureau so it's safe to assume that it has seen a bit of use.

    My concern is that I haul this monster back and it develops into a money pity. Anything I should look for or watch out for before committing to it.

    Robert

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,164

    Re: Scitex EverSmart Pro scanner

    Quote Originally Posted by fuegocito View Post
    Thanks Sandy,

    The upgrade to Pro II you've mentioned, is it a physical update or a software update. The scanner is from a former service bureau so it's safe to assume that it has seen a bit of use.

    My concern is that I haul this monster back and it develops into a money pity. Anything I should look for or watch out for before committing to it.

    Robert
    Robert,

    The upgrade to Pro II status costs about $5k so not an idea that is economically viable for me. Also, the upgrade does not improve the quality of the scan, though it would allow use of oXYgen software which permits 8 bit saves.

    If I were in your shoes I would ask to run the installation program with the diagnostics self-tests. If that checks out I think an investment of $1000 is worth it for this machine. Remember, this is a scanner that retailed at $30k+ a few years ago, and it is one of the sharpest flatbed scanners every made.

    If something does break repairs will not be inexpensive. Just shipping the scanner will cost $300-$500, and some of the parts are very expensive. My Pro needed a new stepped motor, and the cost of the motor itself was $900. So I have about $2k invested in my Pro, but when you consider how much better it is than a tabloid scanner like the Epson 10000, which would cost close to $3k with the TMA, I consider it a great bargain.

    Sandy King

  5. #5

    Re: Scitex EverSmart Pro scanner

    That is really good insight into what it entails both at what the scanner is worth and the potential cost of running it.

    The $1000 quote is just my assumption, now that hearing how much it went for when it was new, I am not sure if it's possible to drag it home for that amount, bit I guess it does not hurt to ask

    Thanks Sandy, also I really enjoy reading your piece on Carbon printing, the Mike Robinson who took some of the pictures, Is he the Mike Robinson from Toronto?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,164

    Re: Scitex EverSmart Pro scanner

    Quote Originally Posted by fuegocito View Post
    That is really good insight into what it entails both at what the scanner is worth and the potential cost of running it.

    The $1000 quote is just my assumption, now that hearing how much it went for when it was new, I am not sure if it's possible to drag it home for that amount, bit I guess it does not hurt to ask

    Thanks Sandy, also I really enjoy reading your piece on Carbon printing, the Mike Robinson who took some of the pictures, Is he the Mike Robinson from Toronto?
    Yes, that is Mike Robinson from Toronto. I did a carbon demo workshop in Toronto last year at APUG. Mike attended and make snaps with his digital camera, and later gave me a CD. He also made a beautiful dag of me that is one of most treasured photographs.

    Sandy

  7. #7

    Re: Scitex EverSmart Pro scanner

    Mike did a very fine tintype of me while back, I did hear about his foray into dag type in Rochester and to my surprise as I took a look at his website, he is deep into it now. Good for him. He is one of the best technician out there.

    Back to the scanner, how much is a realistic price to offer the seller?

    Robert

  8. #8
    Kirk Gittings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Albuquerque, Nuevo Mexico
    Posts
    9,712

    Re: Scitex EverSmart Pro scanner

    Genesis has the same scanner refurbished for $5k. They don't say which software package it has. That should give you some idea of the value.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

    at age 67
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

  9. #9

    Re: Scitex EverSmart Pro scanner

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Genesis has the same scanner refurbished for $5k. They don't say which software package it has. That should give you some idea of the value.
    I guess they don't give those away just yet.

    I did see one went for about $900 on the auction site while back...

    Robert

  10. #10
    Ted Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,479

    Re: Scitex EverSmart Pro scanner

    They go for anywhere from $500 up on yBay but you take your chances as Sandy noted. The repair guys at Kodak will tell you that they get three times as many calls about units purchased online as they do on ones taken out of service from prepress shops, etc. I generally do not recommend an online purchase unless you are well aware of what you are getting into and can look at the unit first or, at least talk with the owner.

    In any case remember that the Pro, aas it sits requires a legacy computer and software and will not run on G5 or Intel based Mac's and OSX. That said, as Sandy notes, if these constraints don't bother you it is a good machine.

Similar Threads

  1. Eversmart: Pro vs Pro ll
    By Deliberate1 in forum Digital Hardware
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25-Sep-2007, 11:18
  2. Scitex Creo EVERSMART PRO scanner
    By sanking in forum Digital Hardware
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 24-Feb-2007, 19:34
  3. Older Scitex Eversmart software -- Negatives?
    By Andy_5247 in forum Business
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-Sep-2006, 17:10
  4. SCANNER SCITEX EVERSMART PRO
    By giancatarina in forum Digital Hardware
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16-Jan-2006, 17:47
  5. 3200 Epson Pro Scanner versus the Non Pro Version for LF
    By neil poulsen in forum Digital Hardware
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 8-Dec-2003, 23:16

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •