Thread: Profile for Moab Somerset Enhanced Velvet

Profile for Moab Somerset Enhanced Velvet

Hi,

Does anyone have a suggestion for what profile to use with Moab Somerset Enhanced Velvet paper for an Epson R2400? I tried the vendor's profile and the Velvet FA paper setting, as recommended for the paper, and the print looks atrocious with a very obvious blue cast. I checked the usual things - no clogged printer nozzle and I was printing on the right side of the paper. I tried the Epson Velvet Fine Art MK profile and the cast was gone but the print looks washed out.

Thanks,
    N.

Re: Profile for Moab Somerset Enhanced Velvet

Don't have an answer, but have Michael Gordon do a custom profile for the paper. He does them at a very, very reasonable price with quick turnaround.

http://www.mgordonphotography.com/

Even though the paper base is the same manufacture as Epson Velvet Fine Art, they have a very different proprietary Epson coating.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 3-Dec-2007 at 18:46.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Tech Support, Chromix, Inc.

Norm,

We usually expect the canned profiles to work better than that. They're not perfect, but they aren't supposed to have a strong blue cast. What OS are you on? There are some bugs in the way Photoshop, Mac OS and Epson drivers all work together.

If you want to get the best profile, find someone who can measure your profiling target with a spectrophotometer with a polarizing filter. We have found that these matte FA papers can have a significant improvement in their color gamut if they are profiled with a polarizing filter.

-Pat Herold
    CHROMiX

Quote Originally Posted by pherold View Post
    Norm,

We usually expect the canned profiles to work better than that. They're not perfect, but they aren't supposed to have a strong blue cast. What OS are you on? There are some bugs in the way Photoshop, Mac OS and Epson drivers all work together.

If you want to get the best profile, find someone who can measure your profiling target with a spectrophotometer with a polarizing filter. We have found that these matte FA papers can have a significant improvement in their color gamut if they are profiled with a polarizing filter.

-Pat Herold
    CHROMiX
    Thanks for the information Pat. I have never had this problem before and I have used matte FA papers from Epson, Ilford, Red River, and Hahnemuhle with no problem - using the canned profiles. At this point I want to simply be able to use the remainder of the paper in the box. In the future I think I'll stick with the brands I have gotten good results from.
    Last edited by Norm Buchanan; 3-Dec-2007 at 18:47. Reason: too quick on the submit