Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Re: Show your bag

Most all of the bags I've been researching are beyond American's carry-on size allowance. A few are right at the limit (like the Pelicans I use for my commercial work). Are you guys flying with your kits? Which bags are still overhead compliant?

Thanks!
    Chris

I fly with the LowePro MiniTrekker classic. Never an issue with it on domestic flights.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Barrett View Post
    Most all of the bags I've been researching are beyond American's carry-on size allowance. A few are right at the limit (like the Pelicans I use for my commercial work). Are you guys flying with your kits? Which bags are still overhead compliant?

Thanks!
    Chris
    Peli 1510, Lowepro X200 and X100, Tenba Roadie Universal; these are all rolling bags.
    I've had to accept that there is no way I'll get my 8x10 on board as carry-on, but before that I did manage to get an entire 4x5 kit in the Peli 1510 as carry-on.

The photo backpacker P3 fits easily in the overhead bin on every flight I've tried.

The P3 is quickly becoming my go to pack for 4x5. My wife snapped this tonight as we reached a ridge line at over 13,600 feet to shoot moonrise. Couple hours down via headlamp and near-full moon, great pack, great hike....

Attachment 121449

Chris:

There are many good suggestions on this merged thread. I get 23 pounds of 4x5 gear into a bag that fits under the seat. See my post on the previous page. I use a LoweProMagnum 35, but there are other (newer) bags from LowePro and other brands that will fit the under-seat and over-head size limits.

I like this package because it not only travels on a plane, but can fit on my lap if need be while riding on a bus. One thing to watch out for on regional airlines is that the over-head can be too small and the bag has to be "gate-checked" into the hold anyway!

I am sure that you will find something that works for you and your shooting outfit.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Thanks!
    Chris

F-Stop Gear Tilopa BC
    . Great pack. I own two.

This thread has been really helpful! I had almost settled on a Thinktank Airport... they have a model with wheels that would be nice for long hauls through the airport. With the F-Stop, though, their X-Large ICU module will fit perfectly into one of my Peli roll-aboards. Then I can pack my clothes in the Tilopa and check that as baggage. I'll swap everything out before going shooting and have my full kit available without having the weight of a roller system while out hiking. Awesome!

This thread has been really helpful! I had almost settled on a Thinktank Airport... they have a model with wheels that would be nice for long hauls through the airport. With the F-Stop, though, their X-Large ICU module will fit perfectly into one of my Peli roll-aboards. Then I can pack my clothes in the Tilopa and check that as baggage. I'll swap everything out before going shooting and have my full kit available without having the weight of a roller system while out hiking. Awesome!
    My favorite feature of the Tilopa, is the fact that the main compartment opens from the back. With other packs that open form the front, the back side ends up getting dirty and wet when you put it down (especially this time of year when the ground is soaked in dew every morning) - then the wet/dirty goes against you back when you put the pack back on. With the Tilopa, the front gets wet/dirty and the back stays clean and dry.