Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Show your bag

Re: Show your bag

Chris: I have done that too: Packed all my gear in a Pellican roll-around carry on and put the LowePro shoulder bag into my checked bag stuffed full of socks and shirts. That way, if the Pellican has to be Gate-Checked into the hold I have slightly less anxiety.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Well hot damn, I have completely redone my packs for photo gear....

I just ordered a Tilopa BC ( Blue ) with the small and medium ICU, rain cover and hydration pouch. I went for the Tilopa due to it being deep enough to take my Photobackpacker 4x5 case lying flat on top of the small ICU. Between this and the P3 kit, I am uber covered for every format in every configuration....

But wow....$1,500 in packs and related...good thing this is tax write off, LOL!

Took delivery of the F-Stop Tilopa BC today, nice pack, well built, killer feature set.

But the unexpected surprise was that my Chamonix 45N2 fit in the small insert, no need to pack it outside the insert in it's own case, woot! I loaded it up with my standard tripod, 4 lenses, 6x12 Horseman back and one RPT 4x5 film holder Cascade w/ 6 holders in the main compartment. The P3 side pouches easily fit outside the pack on the side strap areas so if I wanted to go that route, I could.

I took it for a one mile spin just to see how it all felt and while decent ( much better than the Lowepro 15L, AW 200 ), it was not as comfortable as the Photobackpacker P3. This is not so say it is not comfortable, just that the P3 is bar none the most comfortable fitting pack on the market, especially loading it up above 20 pounds. The primary reason for this is that the Tilopa BC is a panel loader, great for getting to the gear in that manner, but you sacrifice the amazing design of a suspension like the one on the P3, especially as the hip belt stops further away from the spine allowing the zipper access to the gear.

I mean...big, BIG hats off to Bruce Laughton for insisting on a really good suspension on the P3.

But for light-ish excursions with 4x5, medium format, mixed DSLR & MF, this pack will be great, especially in ski mode. I'm taking it up a 14,000 foot peak tomorrow with my Mamiya 6 kit, light-medium CF tripod and about 15 rolls ( one pound ) of film. We'll see how it goes!

Attachment 121769

Re: Show us your field kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Yes indeed it includes...a 350 G-Claron...
    What lensboard do you have the 355 G-Claron mounted on? How well does it 'play' with the Phillips front standard? Thanks in advance.

The Tilopa BC rode awesome with 24 pounds in it, a quick cruise up to 14,000 feet today, only 2,100 vertical from a high parking spot. Tomorrow's jaunt will be three 14,000 foot summits for a total of 15 miles and 7,800 vertical....that ought to tell the real story, lol!

Re: Show us your field kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    What lensboard do you have the 355 G-Claron mounted on? How well does it 'play' with the Phillips front standard? Thanks in advance.
    My dyslexic bad. It is a 305 G-Claron, fits the Phillips lensboard fine and one of the resons I like the Phillips is that it has the most rigid front standard of any camera I have ever used.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Sory for the thread necromancy....

I just saw the Lowepro ProTactic 450AW in the shop and briefly checked it, it looked like it would fit a Shenhao 5x4, 3 lenses, holders and accessories pretty well.

Has anyone used one of these and have comments about use for a field camera? The one thing i'm iffy about is if can properly hold a Berlebach tripod slung to it.

4x5 Zone VI
    3 Lenses,
    All that other stuff

Old LowePro "Magnum-35" shoulder bag.

It will all fit into an older lOWEpRO P;HOTO tREKKER-1 aw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1011182.jpg  
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!