Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tango versus Imacon 949 Test

Re: Tango versus Imacon 949 Test

Not so Doug,
    just not convinced the data you put forth matches my own experience of images scanned on Imocan and Tango.
    Maybe your skin needs to thicken up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    Sorry I brought to y'all's attention. This forum is little more than a glorified pissing contest.

Thanks for posting these Doug. In the main it has led to interesting discussions. If nothing else it is informative about the varied skill levels of lab technicians.

I too think that the Imacon scan is far too soft compared to those I achieve on my Precision II. Sharpening would definitely help and I wonder if they had enabled the Flexsoft facility in Flexcolor which is supposed to remove/minimise dust. I find this is awful and needs permanently disabling. Commercial scanner operators can be lazy and leave this on in order to save having to do much healing/cloning.
    Baxter

Good observation. this is a real possibility. From my experience the 949 and earlier dust removal is worthless. Don't know about the newer system.

Just curious is anyone here arguing that a good Imacon scan rivals a good drum scan?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Doug,

You make it difficult to continue the discussion when you take the images off of your website. I took a very quick look when you posted them but made no comment as I have been very busy and I wasn't sure why you were driving at anyway. As Kirk said, I don't believe anyone has said the Imacon is superior to or the equal of any Drum scanner (or any high-end flatbed for that matter) and the Seybold test that I have referenced in many other threads confirms this.

Labs vary and operator skills vary just as they always have for any service. The variations in scanning are just like they are in having custom prints made. When I am doing a custom scan for a client I always discuss their expected outcome with them after I have looked at the negative or tranny and then do the scan. Sometimes I will have to do it twice to get the expected results.

You may get similar service from WCI but at a price and not likely from Jainco as theirs is a low priced volume business. BTW, to continue on my earlier thread look for Jainco to offer some higher quality/higher priced options in the future at higher but still exceptionally competitive prices.

Finally, IMO and as a results of tests I have done, regardless of its price and advertising as a "virtual drum" I have to consider the Imacon a medium level machine that fits in between the prosumers and high-end scanners in quality of output for LF and probably little or no better than a properly used Nikon 9000 wiht its glass mount for MF and 35mm. The issue is that the Imacon is both resolution limited for LF and has a rather low Dmax across the board. I have just never fou dit good value for money.

Now, going back to your original post, was there a quetion there?

jetcode

Doug - it seems silly to expect a thread here amongst photographers to be free from conflict - I enjoyed your post as I always wanted to see a Tango scan from WCI - thank you for sharing that!!!

Ted - I'm ready for your consulting services - I want to know more about the manual fine adjustment panel, much of it is self explanatory but I want to go through each field with you to find out the particulars - I find the Color Genius software to be very powerful and I need to get the OS X software upgrade so I can calibrate my monitor!

Hi Kirk

Not arguing that a good Imocan scan is better than a good drum scan.
    But I am saying that the skill set of the operator is critical, as well as an understanding of final outputsize/material and viewing conditions is.
    Yesterday I was printing files from WCI and today I am printing files made by Repro Images *now part of National Geographic* both I believe to be Tango scans.
    Both companys have very good reputations and these files are very good.
    On very high gloss stock *Cibachrome* at 30x40 print size the output of these files are truly amazing, but I have to say that though I am not arguing one scanner over the other, the scans to 30x40 prints that I am getting off my flextight do not make me sad when I compare the prints side by side to that of other drum scanning devices.
    The original poster put forth selections that really do not match what I see on side by side comparisons...
    I am in the process of testing a couple of scanners against my flextight, and though happy right now I believe that Ted or Lenny are going to win me over to a purchase of a true drum scanner.
    One element that may be an advantage lets say over sending out scans to a service provider, is that I can proof out scans within minutes at large magnifications any image that I work on , therefore allowing me to make adjustments to the scan to the materials that I am working on.
    As well there are many options in PS to maximise the strength of any image.

this kind of debate reminds me of the pros and cons of printing negatives from rangefinder cameras and Slr's. one with mirror slap and the other without.
    Most fashion photographers preferred the mirror slap of a Pentax6x7 and reportage photographers went for the crispness of the Mamiya 7.
    both systems workhorses and both system producing great work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Thanks for posting these Doug. In the main it has led to interesting discussions. If nothing else it is informative about the varied skill levels of lab technicians.

Baxter

Good observation. this is a real possibility. From my experience the 949 and earlier dust removal is worthless. Don't know about the newer system.

Just curious is anyone here arguing that a good Imacon scan rivals a good drum scan?

I saw the scans when they were up.

The 949 scan didn't look like it was done very well. My scans from my old Sprintscan 45 looked better and I don't sharpen anything. I would consider having a new scan done to compare it to the drum scan.

Bob- In your post you mention Repro Images. I have had work done by them in the past and was wondering if you know if they are still doing retail business or if they have been swallowed up by National Geo.

Thanks, Richard

Let me also add taht I have had a couple of clients that showed me work from Repro Images and in one case it was from an Imacon scan so they used both a Tango and an Imacon.

Hi Richard

I am not sure, one of my clients had a bunch of scans in the summer done by Repro at the National Geographic offices just as they were joining up, I wish I knew the name of the former owner of Repro because if he does the scans they are really really good. My client did observe as Ted states them using both scanners and he was not happy with some of the technicians work and got to the guy to do all his work. But I imagine this is not possible now.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Edic View Post
    Bob- In your post you mention Repro Images. I have had work done by them in the past and was wondering if you know if they are still doing retail business or if they have been swallowed up by National Geo.

Thanks, Richard

His name is Jeff Whatley. I only had drum scans done although I know they offered another type of scan, although my memory is that it was something other than Imacon. The drum scan quality was good, and at $55 for a 250mb scan you can see why I'm interested- Richard