Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Archival matboard sources?

Re: Archival matboard sources?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    I've found that if I buy 10-20 sheets of museum board at a time, the local art supply store is about the same as the internet discount prices when you include the shipping. Sometimes they may need a few days to order it, but dinged corners and surprise lengthy backorders are never an issue, and it feels good to support the locals. I like that they're there when I need a quick roll of hinging tape, a single matte board, blades for the window cutter...
    Second that. I buy from my locally owned art supply store.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    I use American Frame http://americanframe.com/ but they are local to me. Dick Blick is good too, and so is Cheap Joe's http://www.cheapjoes.com/ .
    Greg,

We are going to have to get together. I switched from Light Impressions to American Frame because: cheaper product, less freight cost and transit time (Toledo to Cleveland), they always have what I want, and they apologize if they don't ship same day if you call in the morning. My wife buys most of her painting supplies from Cheap Joes, especially when she can stop there on the way to visit her son in Chapel Hill.

John

Hi Brett,

I am biased since I am the owner of Frame Destination, Inc. but we carry Bainbridge Alphamat and Alpharag archival mat board in 4-ply and 8-ply.

You can search the archives in this forum and on other photo forums for less biased reviews of my company such as this one:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...me+destination

When I was opening Frame Destination I researched mat board and theirs was the top of the line in archival since they have exclusive rights to the ArtCare technology which provides active protection for photography prints. I have also found that Bainbridge 8-ply rag mat board is just a little thicker than Crescent or Light Impressions. We cut the mat windows at 45 degrees and since it is full 1/8" thick you end up with 1/4" bevel that is very dramatic. A lot of customers love using the 8ply mat board for Gallery exhibits due to the depth it provides to the framing package.

Cheers,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bsimison View Post
    What's a good source for archival framing and mounting supplies -- ArtCare Rag boards, etc? Light Impressions' prices are not good, and they backorder items like mad. Charette/Pitman's prices are a little better, but they also backorder items a lot, with no warning until you're reading your packing slip and discover you are missing items. SuperiorArchivalMats.com's website is still available, but their phone number appears to have been disconnected.

I've searched the forum archives a bit, but most of the posts I've turned up are fairly old.

Thanks!
    -Brett

PS: I'm in central Vermont, if that helps.

Such self-promotion is a service to the LF community when the products and service are as good as Frame Destination's. Just this afternoon I received a $800 order (large by my standards) from them. The order arrived in five days, including a weekend. Packing was perfect. This is the kind of service I've grown to expect from Frame Destination.

+1 for Frame Destinations.

See this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=75853

Quote Originally Posted by bsimison View Post
    What's a good source for archival framing and mounting supplies -- ArtCare Rag boards, etc? Light Impressions' prices are not good, and they backorder items like mad. PS: I'm in central Vermont, if that helps.
    Forget that Light Impressions even exists -- bad, VERY bad! You don't want to go anywhere near them.

Try Gaylord Bros. http://www.gaylord.com