Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schneider 210mm Angulon Question.

Schneider 210mm Angulon Question.

I know that these lenses are quite old, but do they perform well and cover the 8x10 format? Also, what should I expect to pay for a good one?
    I don`t yet own an 8x10 Camera, but this is a format that I am considering for landscape and outdoor subjects and I have yet to decide which Camera type to buy.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Re: Schneider 210mm Angulon Question.

1) Yes, they do cover 8x10" - with LOTS of movements. Unless you're as bad as I am, you will NEVER run out of coverage. Mine covers 24x36cm (9.5x12") very sharp, and 30x40cm (12x16") with "acceptable sharpness" all the way into the corners.

If you can find an affordable one, buy it. Mine is a 1938 model and uncoated, but it's still one of the most useful lenses I own for the 8x10" format.

They'll cover 11x14. My Linhof model is as sharp in the center as any modern glass, but a bit less sharp toward the edges. They were made over many years and with widely varying levels of QC. Price also varies widely, depending upon condition, shutter, and things like Linhof or Sinar branding. For a "good one" in Copal 3 probably $600+, less for an older one in a Compound.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Thanks Ole. John`s comment that it will cover 11x14 is reassuring. It should be good for B&W, but what about colour films?
    There is an article in the `Amateur Photographer` magazine this week about photographer `Harry Cory-Wright, who uses a Gandolfi 8x10 wood and brass view Camera and a 240mm lens to photograph the British isles. Harry uses ISO 160 colour negative film, although I am not sure how the colour fidelity would be with an older non-coated lens such as the Angulon 210mm.
    Harry`s comments on why he uses an 8x10 Camera for the print quality are interesting:

"You are not just looking at a small speck in the distance that is a boat or a tree. On 8x10 film, it is a real boat and a real tree with leaves and colours passing through it. You see the paint peeling on the side of the boat and the bark detail on every branch. For viewers, it`s like being there at the time of exposure".

I think he has summed up the charm of large-format very well.

Once again, I present a picture shot on 13x18cm (a smidgeon more than 5x7") film with a 165mm Angulon.

http://www.bruraholo.no/images/Lodalen.html

The 210mm is at least as good on 8x10" as this one is at 5x7".
    Last edited by Ole Tjugen; 30-Nov-2007 at 15:16. Reason: Must be getting drunk - I forgot the link!

I once owned a 210 angulon in a compound shutter. It was my favorite lens ever and I'm stupid for selling it. I used it on 8x10 and was always happy with it's character and performance. I bought and sold it for $500.

Just because a lens was made in the 1930's and is uncoated is no indication of how it will perform with color film. The "only" generalization that can be made is that the lens will be more prone to flare.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    Just because a lens was made in the 1930's and is uncoated is no indication of how it will perform with colour film. The "only" generalization that can be made is that the lens will be more prone to flare.
    Wouldn`t a colour photograph taken with a non-coated lens be less saturated and of slightly lower contrast than one taken with a multi-coated lens?
    Some photographers might prefer the results from an older lens for aesthetic/pictorial reasons, which is why I am asking questions about the Angulon.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    Wouldn`t a colour photograph taken with a non-coated lens be less saturated and of slightly lower contrast than one taken with a multi-coated lens?
    Some photographers might prefer the results from an older lens for aesthetic/pictorial reasons, which is why I am asking questions about the Angulon.
    The Angulon has the lowest possible glass/air surfaces, four. So there is no real difference between a coated and uncoated lens. Multi-coating is important for complex lenses with many air/glass surfaces like zoom-lenses to avoid flare and ghost-images. Flare reduce also the saturation of colors. But the color-fidelity is a question of the lens-construction and NOT the coating.

Peter K

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    Well, yes. Slighly less contrasty and slightly less saturated than if the same shot had been taken with a coated lens of the same type - that's as far as I'm willing to generalise. Remember that an Angulon has only four glass/air surfaces - two less than Tessars, half as many as dialytes and double-gauss lenses - and is inherently less prone to flare than many other lenses. The wide field increases the likelyhood of including something bright in the field of view, or even being stupid enough to let the sun shine on the front element. But if you do that, you will get flare regardless of coating!

http://www.bruraholo.no/Cameras/Angulon/

But a 210mm Angulon doesn't necessarily have to be uncoated. They were made over very long time, and most of them were coated!