Thread: I feel like Rip Van Winkle

I feel like Rip Van Winkle

I feel like Rip Van Winkle,

Most of my life I have been interested in Photography, have had a camera as far back as I can remember, did a lot of commercial images as well, bit recently I returned to Arizona after a ten year stay in Asia teaching and taking a lot of stills and video.

As Christmas is approaching I wanted to print some of my images for some of my friends, so off to the photo lab I had used in the past, what a surprise, well I really did not think they had me still listed with an account, but when I laid down some 5x7 transparencies and asked to have some 16 x 20 prints made from them they asked just what they where?

I then got some story about scanning the image and making some digital print of that?

Like am I still on planet earth?

Mike Duecy
    12-5-07 I think

Re: I feel like Rip Van Winkle

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Duecy View Post
    I then got some story about scanning the image and making some digital print of that?

You most definitely are, although it's been a different century for the past 7 years...

But welcome to the LF board anyway.

Yes at least 7 years,

Now about large format Photography, I am thinking that some still develop their own negatives and at least make contact prints or is this lost art?

I must search the web for chemicals and paper I am thinking.
    All kidding aside are all the labs out of business?

NOTE: I do use digital and provide a lot of images to engineers, but that is not LF Photography.

Most using LF cameras still shoot film, but some scan, dodge and burn in Photoshop and then print digitally. Lots of labs still around for developing color. For supplies: Freestyle Photo, Photographers Formulary, Badger Graphics, Calumet, B+H Photo Video.

Yes I see that Process RA-4 and Endura paper is available for up to 30" by what ever [100 feet].

Some how I just missed something with this change to digital?
    I have been using digital since the 80's and I still find it lacking in most ways. Oh well.

Last edited by Mike Duecy; 5-Dec-2007 at 21:43. Reason: add image

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Duecy View Post
    I feel like Rip Van Winkle,

Most of my life I have been interested in Photography, have had a camera as far back as I can remember, did a lot of commercial images as well, bit recently I returned to Arizona after a ten year stay in Asia teaching and taking a lot of stills and video.

As Christmas is approaching I wanted to print some of my images for some of my friends, so off to the photo lab I had used in the past, what a surprise, well I really did not think they had me still listed with an account, but when I laid down some 5x7 transparencies and asked to have some 16 x 20 prints made from them they asked just what they where?

Mike Duecy
    12-5-07 I think
    Just wait until you try to buy a roll of film for your Brownie
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

You can still get film for your Brownie. 120 film is still widely available.

Quote Originally Posted by joseph therrien View Post
    You can still get film for your Brownie. 120 film is still widely available.
    Brownies eat 127!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

120 yes, but not 620! Your Brownie is SOL.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Not SOL, you just have to look harder. I get my Brownie's film at Freestyle, it's Efke R100. FWIW they even carry infrared 127!