Thread: Long Lenses Etc

Long Lenses Etc

I have a 9.5 inch Gold Dot Dagor in an Ilex that I'm running on an Ansco 5x7. I'm told it will cover an 8x10 OK (does this sound right?). I'm looking for either a good 21" Dagor (will this cover an 8x10 when I upgrade?) or some or other triple convertable lens. Can I get by with a barrel shutter? And just what is a barrel shutter? How good are these convertable lenses, and are they at all easy to come by? (I've been haphazardly looking for a 21" for a couple of years; I've never come across one in Toronto (I live near there), I came across a 19" in Chicago, I expect I'll have to go to New York to get the 21". Any suggestions? I had read somewhere that Andreas Fenninger built himself a really long lens -- have you ever come across any literature on this subject?

Long Lenses Etc

according to the data on the site, the 9.5 inch Gold Dot Dagor has an image circle of 336 and therefore covers 8x10 (with almost no movements). A 21" Dagor would have plenty of coverage for 8x10. There is no such thing as a "barrel shutter". Lenses come either in barrel or in shutter. The fact that there is no shutter makes them impossible to use them at speeds faster than a few seconds (unless the camera has a focal plane shutter). I've heard that these convertible lenses are ok if you don't convert them. you don't have to go to ny (or anywhere) if you mail-order. there are quite a few reliable used dealer out there.