Thread: Power requirements for CLS1840

Power requirements for CLS1840

I am preparing my darkroom for the arrival of a Durst 1840 with a CLS1840 Dichro head, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I need to be running for power. I was expecting 220 or 240 Volt, but i came across this thread on APUG:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/4...-question.html

which has left me a little confused. 250 Volt? I have not heard of such a thing, but then again I do have what I admit to be a less than elementary understanding of electricity.

Any help here would be much appreciated. - Thanks

Re: Power requirements for CLS1840

I run my L1840 chassis and CLS 1840 head on common 240 volt house-current. This voltage normally fluctuates slightly at my house, usually from around 220v up to around 250v, and I have experienced no problems.

The US and, I think, Canada, operates on 60 Hz, and the Durst equipment can use either 50 or 60 Hz.

As to capacity, I fuse my circuits for 20 amp, and have had no problems. But if I had the opportunity to do things differently, I would install two 240 volt 20 amp circuits. You would seldom move the head elevation / focus controls at the same time as illuminating the light, but I guess it is possible. And for future expansion.

I have installed a surge protector on the main line, just in case of lightning strikes.

Darkcloth Fumbler

for a little clarification: US household is 117 v. an electric dryer and things like that use 240 v, and have special outlets for them. you'll probably need to have one installed near your enlarger.

(i know nothing about the durst, but saw perhaps a potential misunderstanding about 117/120 volts vs 240).
    - matt haines

Business.
    Pleasure.

Rippo makes a very good point. 240v. receptacles come in a variety of configurations, depending on the amperage. The 240v 20amp receptacles have horizontal slots instead of the vertical slots found on a 120v 20amp receptacle, in addition to the standard ground slot found on both receptacles.

The Durst power supply features a recessed male 3 blade similar to the international standard ones found on a computer. It should come with a power cable, but you may have to change the male plug that fits the 240 v. wall receptacle. If your power supply does not have a cable, use a standard computer cable with the international plug that fits the power supply, and install a male plug on the other end to fit the 240 volt wall receptacle.