Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which neg film for landscapes?

which neg film for landscapes?

It seems I'm going to be grad filterless for the next few weeks, just sold all my cokin and the Lee filters I've ordered aren't in stock for a while.

So I was thinking the only way I can get out and do any meaningful landscape photography is to use some neg film with a greater exposure latitude.

Which film would people recommend for landscape work (I'm new to neg shooting). Ideally good saturation and exposure latitude (to get round my lack of filters), I was looking at Fuji 160c or 160s, what's the difference, which one would be best?

How many more stops am I likely to get compared to Velvia or Provia? I've also got some Astia which I guess may give me more latitude?

thanks for any recommendations.
    Dav

Re: which neg film for landscapes?

Dav,

I find PRO160S works well, esp. on sunny days. Slightly lower colour saturation than the "C", but printing digitally one can always tweak that a little before output if you wish.

I'd estimate you would get a get at least a stop more latitude than with Astia, which in turn gives about 1/2 stop more than Velvia 50.

Note that scanned at 3200dpi, the grain with the colour negative is visible on the screen, but doesn't translate to prints I make (17"x25").

One final point -- I expose the nominal 160ISO film at 100ISO, just to ensure good shadow detail. This works for me, with my elderly Pentax analogue spotmeter, but you would be well advised to experiment yourself to find the optimum approach for your equipment.

I agree with David. The 160S has good saturation and grain charecteristics.

Quote Originally Posted by uniB View Post
    It seems I'm going to be grad filterless for the next few weeks, just sold all my cokin and the Lee filters I've ordered aren't in stock for a while.

So I was thinking the only way I can get out and do any meaningful landscape photography is to use some neg film with a greater exposure latitude.

Which film would people recommend for landscape work (I'm new to neg shooting). Ideally good saturation and exposure latitude (to get round my lack of filters), I was looking at Fuji 160c or 160s, what's the difference, which one would be best?

How many more stops am I likely to get compared to Velvia or Provia? I've also got some Astia which I guess may give me more latitude?

thanks for any recommendations.
    Dav
    The biggies are Fujifilm 160S (the C version is harder to find and isn't in Quickloads if memory serves, which it often does not ;-), and Kodak 160PortraVC (either sheets or readyloads). 400PortraNC is an amazingly excellent film, but I only use it when I need the speed because of the price.

For the Fuji films, the S version is somewhat less saturated than the C version. For Kodak, the NC versions give somewhat less saturation than the VC versions.

I personally use mostly 160PortraVC for color work. I tried the Fujifilm 160S and just didn't like it as well although I can't figure out exactly why. Some subtle rendering of hue and tones probably. Both films are excellent, both fine grain with excellent dynamic range.

I did a test on 160PortraVC's dynamic range a couple of years ago. A picture of a white flower in full mid-day summer sun. My meter recorded an 11 stop range (9 stops of texture plus a pure black and pure white). The film was as linear as you could want -- no shouldering that I could find, no color shifting, no bad behavior at all, just excellent hues, tones, and detail. Lovely stuff, this film.

The performance of modern color negative films is just outstanding, and you don't have to use (or carry) any filters to use them. So be careful. You shoot much of this stuff and you may find you don't want to return to trannies.

Bruce Watson

Another vote for Portra 160VC. It's the way to go if you're printing your own color.

I have to agree with Bruce, I have been shooting Portra 160 VC exclusively for at least a half a dozen years. When I used to have a motor drive, I (kiding) loaded from 50 sheet packs. I have come to shoot solely with Ready Loads. Nice to not introduce dust and lint on the film.

The results I get are very consistent, and in my usage, I have seldom blown out a highlight (usually a waterfall or whatever) or have blocked up in shadows. I do use a Lee system ND grads from time to time but I tend to use them more with balancing water reflection shots than to tone down the sky. In most situations, I think you can pull out clouds under the enlarger or whatever post workflow you use.

Of course when you get your new ND grads, you'll gain with less post work in extreme cases. Anything inside of 7 stops or maybe a bit more should be a piece of cake. Can't do that with a tranny for me.

thanks for the great info, looks like it's 160S and Portra 160 VC then. I'll have a go at some 160S quickload and some Portra sheet.

So would I be best to meter for the lightest areas with neg film with no filtering and let everything else fall into place? I guess if I meter for midtones, as I would if shooting trannies I'm still likely to blow out the highlights, even with the extra latitude.

Another vote for Portra, 160NC in my case.

I standardized on that 10 years ago. You can always **add** contrast and saturation after scanning. Try to back down and you get combing.

When I wanted slide I used Astia. Same reasons. I know they released a newer version of Portra that is better for scanning than the older stuff. I compared the older version to Fuji 160 whatever (lower saturation version). I could not really see a difference in the scans. A little bias toward greens in Fuji, reds in Portra.

Ther only real complaint about transparency is not seeing what you have right away. With 4x5 that shouldn't be a problem - we don't take that many shots. With 6x7 that was more of a pain.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by David Rees View Post
    Note that scanned at 3200dpi, the grain with the colour negative is visible on the screen, but doesn't translate to prints I make (17"x25").
    Sorry to derail this but I'm having a hell of a time with grain from colour neg film and inkjet prints. Absolutely any visible grain viewed at 100% seems to come out in the print. I'd like to know how you print.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    The biggies are Fujifilm 160S (the C version is harder to find and isn't in Quickloads if memory serves, which it often does not ;-)
    Freestyle sells Pro 160C in Quickload:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_pro...pid=1000001512

They are the only place I have found that sells it. I've used both 160C and 160S, and gravitate towards 160C. There is a slightly higher contrast in 160C but print 160S on a nice Fuji Type C paper and you'll have plenty of color saturation.

Jimmy