Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Linhof Universal Finders - Synopsis of versions and capabilities?

Re: Linhof Universal Finders - Synopsis of versions and capabilities?

" the later version(s) made in the last maybe 15 years plus?"

Over 30 years. We have brochures and price lists from 1975 that show the old version of the current Multifocus Finder.

I used the type pictured in Wilbur's photograph for the same purpose you're talking about, i.e. to hand-hold it as an aid to selecting and composing photographs and choosing the correct focal length lens. I didn't like it very much for that purpose. I found it awkward and uncomfortable to hold it at my eye with one hand and rotate the circular gizmo with the other, with one elbow sticking out like a chicken's wing and your hand upside down. FWIW I thought that a $10 viewing card from B&H, the kind with a 4x5 hole and a piece of tape with 4x5 focal lengths on it, was better to use for scouting out photographs and roughly composing and choosing a focal length. OTOH, I found that I kind of liked using the Linhof Finder on the camera to refine the composition - but not enough to keep it just for that purpose so I sold mine.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I use it both ways, as an aid to composition and lens selection and on the Technika as a viewfinder for rangefinder shooting.

I've got the latest type. I only really use it when looking for locations with a view to returning later when the light is right. I find it helpful in deciding what lenses to bring with me but not accurate enough to allow me to make my final choice using it - I find that I often end up using a lens either slightly longer or shorter than the one I identify using the finder. I suspect if I spent more time out and about with my camera and less on the computer it would become unecessary.

David Whistance

John,

One additional thing that I thought I might add is that I find that with the later helical focusing model, the view is VERY bright. Perhaps more than 2 stops brighter than naked eye. No particular value during the day but of considerable value to me in lower light levels.

I am also having difficulty finding information on these viewfinders, and the answers here haven't helped me - sorry!

I have acquired an old black finder with 90-360 scale on the right and 120-500 scale on the left and what may be a 4x5 mask on the front (30mm x 23mm for the outer silver and 14mm x 20 mm for the inner line)

My question is, which is supposed to be the area framed in the picture and what is the significance of the outer/inner division?

Also, Is there such a thing as a 6x17cm mask? And does the 5x7" mask show 4x5" in the middle to avoid having to swap masks when using a reducing back?

Thanks for the help.

Doug Dolde

I used to own one but have found that I can see compositions pretty well without it. It's also pretty obsolete since it doesn't have a 110mm setting.

The old black finder was for both formats 4x5" and 5x7". For 4x5" one has to use the right scale, 90mm - 360mm, and for 5x7" the left scale 120mm - 500mm. The fine black line marks the area framed in the picture. There where no masks aviable. BTW the 6x17cm format is a new format compared to this view finder.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    I used to own one but have found that I can see compositions pretty well without it. It's also pretty obsolete since it doesn't have a 110mm setting.
    The old view finder has a 105mm setting for 4x5" and 120mm for 5x7"

Are these the finders that are listed in a B&H ad in View Camera Magazine for $1,500 new?