Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Universal Finders - Synopsis of versions and capabilities?

Still Developing

Re: Linhof Universal Finders - Synopsis of versions and capabilities?

This may be anathema to a lot of you but I've just recently started using a Ricoh GX100 as a finder. It's naturally 4x5 (just about) format and 24-72 zoom range makes it ideal for most normal large format lens ranges. The screen on the back is bright and it's simple to test out low angle shots without bending over (good when you have a bad back like me). It also gives you a very good test shot that you can then flip through and compare. I walk around a location and take a quick snap of the compositions I'm thinking about and then scroll through them to assess.

Also, the zoom range has a 'discrete interval' mode. This means you press the zoom in and it jumps to the next focal length. The interval sees to offer a 110 - 135 - 150 - 210 - 300 range of lens equivalents ... they also do a wide angle converter which would give you 80mm at the wide end.

There are a couple of large format landscape photographers I know who have indicated that they wouldn't buy a replacement for their linhof finder as the Ricoh would do as good or better.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by gregstidham View Post
    These two work the same. They crop rather than using additional optics to zoom like the newer Linhof finder does.
    ... exactly the information i was hoping for, thank you ;-) that was nowhere else to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Liscio View Post
    Does anyone have input on the Fotoman viewfinders at Badger Graphic for $200. They have 4X5 masks and inserts for different lenses. Seems if you wanted to check several lens perspectives, this might be a pita, making the manual form with measuring string more effective.

Grego
    I have one of the zoom Fotoman type finders that I use for scouting. It could be from one of those made in China rollfilm cameras, I don't remember for sure. I found it brighter to look through then the Old tan Linhof finder and the glass seems to have a bigger eyepiece so I liked it better enough to sell my old Linhof finder. I paid about $75 on the auction site.
    RKNewcomb

renes

Is this Linhof an older style universal finder or "new" zooming model?
    I wonder if to buy it.

that is just the same as the actual one exept for the rubber around it. and inside it is the same whatever film-formats are written - you have to make yourself a comparison-chart for your lenses, i.e. 115 (your 5/7-lens) = (more or less) 53 (on this finder labeled for rf)(just a freehand-example...). the frames (front-hoods) according to your format you can buy extra (be patient and wait for an ebay-chance or be rich and order them new ;-) - but you do not need them really, as you obviously do not seem to want to use it on the linhof-cam and are just looking for something to give you help for selecting a viewpoint and fitting lens, i guess. if it disturbs you, there are a little bit tricky ways to detach the foot of the piece, but for using it on the linhof-cam again it would have to be adjusted by the technicians.

cheers!

renes

Thanks. I did not mention it but I will use it with 6x9 camera.

Quote Originally Posted by renes View Post
    Thanks. I did not mention it but I will use it with 6x9 camera.
    I should hope so. The version pictured is for a 69 camera. The 45 and 57 versions are different.

I have the 6X9 version with 4 attachments (6X9 6X7 6X6 and 6X4.5). When shooting LF I just make the mental conversion to the appropriate focal length. It is close enough for government work!

Just curious: I have what I assume is a late type finder but it has 72mm, 80mm and 110mm positions as well as a 400mm setting in a different colour (presumably for the then-new Schneider XL lenses). Has this superseded the previous design with 65mm, 75mm, etc, or is it the same finder with a new decal on it?

I imagine it's a new decal with perhaps new detents. I had the 2x3 version of the Universal finder, and it appeared to be the same as the 4x5 version save for the decals and the mask.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon