Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Universal Finders - Synopsis of versions and capabilities?

Re: Linhof Universal Finders - Synopsis of versions and capabilities?

The new ones, yes, but there are lots of older ones out there for less money.

It's possible to set them for intermediate focal lengths. Just compare what you see in the finder to what's on the groundglass and mark it on the ring or on the side with a pencil. That's what I do with my intermediate-style version (the one with the knurled metal finish).

while the older telescoping models are a lot cheaper, but not really very satisfactory about exactly where the image edges lie.

I had an old "tan" model for a while ; I loved the high manufacturing quality and "sixties-style" perfect finish but I had to eventually sell it, I could not use it properly.
    Since I am wearing ophtamic glasses (I'm suffering from astigmatism in addition to being short sighted) I cannot see the whole frame with my glasses on. I do not think that the old 'tan" model has a dioptre adjustment that would allow pure-short-sighted people with no astigatims to see sharp through the finder with no glasses. So...

The new model solves the problem. At a nominal cost
    So if you wear ophtalmic glasses, you should make a try of any finder before purchase, be it made in Munich or made in Wetzlar or made in Russia .

The situation is exactly the same for binoculars or microscope eyepieces, old binoculmars and old microscope eyepieces are not suitable for observation with your glasses on : you'd loose a huge part of the visible field like in the old Linhof finder.

Just my 0,02 euro to the discussion (0,02 euro is about the price of a home-made cardboard frame finder ;-)

Grego

Does anyone have input on the Fotoman viewfinders at Badger Graphic for $200. They have 4X5 masks and inserts for different lenses. Seems if you wanted to check several lens perspectives, this might be a pita, making the manual form with measuring string more effective.

Grego

Re: Linhof Universal Finders - Converted to hand use

In response to an offline question to me about the mechanics of removing the factory "hot shoe" foot and attaching it to a neck strap, I would like to add the following personal experience.

I removed the pin which secures the optical barrel to the "hot shoe" base. Be careful about the torsion spring during the removal. The pin has one slightly larger "knurled" end with a force fit, just be sure to push it out in that direction. I think I might have tapped it out with a tiny pin punch. If you have to adapt, you could probably make a pin punch substitute by using a small numbered drill with the flutes ground off.

I don't remember why now, but at the time I didn't trust putting the pin back in but instead replaced it with a small "wire nail" of the right diameter (home depot). I just trimmed off the sharp pointed end, and lightly superglued the blunt end (not the head end) in place after passing the nail through the loop of my neck strap.

For the neck strap I purchased and then adapted a generic strap from REI, I don't remeber the intended usage. I did cut off a buckle, and resewed the strap to form a simple end like a watch strap. (I don't know where you live, REI is a outdoor camping supply store.)

My last act was to cut out the bottom off of one of my unused soft lens cases. That now "floats" over the view finder and just drops bell like to protect it while it is hanging from my neck when I let it go. (Or maybe it protects other things from the view finder)

I hope you enjoy the alteration. The view finder is a bit too bulky as far as I'm concerned to just slip into a pocket, so the neck strap worked well as a solution for me.

I have the new model also, and overall, for scouting, its an OK tool, but quite expensive for the task it performs. I often use my cardboard cutout with tape measure attached.

The biggest problem I have with the Linhof is, its very awkward to handhold for this purpose, its awkward to zoom, hard to pocket, rough edges, etc. Of course, in the past, Bob Solomon has disputed this, but then again, he can not rid his bias since he represents Linhof.

Awhile back on this forum, someone showed some links to a Cine version of the same...these were scouting tools also, which directors wear to designate lens selection. They were more, neck-strap friendly, as they were designed for that purpose. It's been so long, I can't recall the makers name. I would strongly consider one of those after owning the Linhof, but I am sure they are pricy also, possibly big, I can't recall.

With the exchange rate going in the WRONG direction, we can expect some major price increases soon from these Euro exporters.

Glenn Mellen

My brother uses the cardboard matboard cutout with string... and I use the new version Linhof Multifocal Finder... he's now in the process of looking for one too... definitely more accurate and convenient than his method. However, the finder does show a bit less than the actual lens shows, but it's accurate enough to figure best camera position and which lens to use.

I've seen quite a few of them on eBay... the new style usually sells for $400-something... the older ones for a bit less. As I nearly always use a shooting vest with big pockets, carrying it has never been an issue. If your budget allows, it's a very handy tool for sure.

I'm perfectly happy with all my Linhof Technika stuff - viewfinders included.

But, for those that want a cinema type directors viewfinder, here is one I own that I used to use when I shot with motion picture cameras. I own the previous model that is no longer available, but it is the same. I paid around a $100 for mine.

http://www.cavision.com/viewfinders/VFM11X.htm

It is affordable, lightweight, easy to use, and makes a nice fashion accessory, which I think some of you guys would think is most important. You will need to convert the cine lens markings to work with your large format lenses. The aspect ratio would adjust easily to large format.

Models by Tewe (for both cine and 35mm RF's) are available on ebay and relatively cheap ($50-100). You need to convert the focal lengths to the format you're using. They're small and light, and seem to work on the zooming principle of the newer Linhof models, rather than cropping the angle of view of the older Linhof models and the annoying Leica Imarect model, which is also small and light but archaic and dark IMO. I have the Tewe and Imarect, I just (last week) bought the Linhof zooming finder that used to belong to Frank Petronio, and have access to the older Linhof model. Since I'm the guilty party who started this entire thread (and learned a lot along the way), I plan to do a test of all four models this summer and report the results here. But, bq, if you want a decent finder much smaller than the Linhof, I'd look for a Tewe.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

dear greg, i would be really glad if you could give a statement about the handling and viewing differences between the newer linhof and the mentioned cavision finder! PLEEEASE ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by gregstidham View Post
    I'm perfectly happy with all my Linhof Technika stuff - viewfinders included.

But, for those that want a cinema type directors viewfinder, here is one I own that I used to use when I shot with motion picture cameras. I own the previous model that is no longer available, but it is the same. I paid around a $100 for mine.

http://www.cavision.com/viewfinders/VFM11X.htm

It is affordable, lightweight, easy to use, and makes a nice fashion accessory, which I think some of you guys would think is most important. You will need to convert the cine lens markings to work with your large format lenses. The aspect ratio would adjust easily to large format.

Forgive me if I have confused anyone, but I only own the old style Linhof finder and the Cavision Director finder. These two work the same. They crop rather than using additional optics to zoom like the newer Linhof finder does. I have never used the newer Linhof finder. Good luck with your search for a finder.