Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Backpacking with 7x17

Re: Backpacking with 7x17

My Jobo CPP-2 came with a 2830-2560 combined tank. I am not sure how the original owner used it, but it allows two 7x17s to be processed at a time. The interior is 20 7/8 inches deep. There are ridges of two different heights running lengthwise. The four higher ridges allow two 7x17s to wedge in place on either side off one ridge. The other 7 inch film edge wedges against two more ridges leaving a gap of 1 7/8 inches. The fourth ridge runs down the middle of this gap.

A sheet of film 8 inches wide could wedge between these two ridges placed on opposite sides of the tank interior. I have not tried this tank with 8x20 film, but it appears to have that possibility.

Sorry Steve. This has come a long way from backpacks.

John

The Super Trekker AW II is the right pack for the task at hand.

I am not into wheeled devices simply because they are prohibited in any wilderness area and some National Parks. Usually this is where you want to make photographs, at least here in Colorado. Fact is that when you are putting on a back pack with anything of consequence make NO mistake about it - you are participating in a very physically arduous event. As a result carrying only as much as necessary to make your photographs is the objective. How this manifests itself is a very personal decision from tripods to darkcloths and film holders to lenses. I know this for a fact. The older I get the less weight I want to subject myself to.

A physical and regular cadiovascular conditioning/weight training are both recommended and advised. It should not take long for you to decide that this technique is the cats meow OR working from the vehicle is not such a bad proposition after all.

Last count I have four pack frames, five back packs and a cross buck saddle along with a set of panniers for a pack horse. Just think of the possibilities for LF/ULF images that are off of the beaten path?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Scott,

I use Jobo 2850 tank too. How do you put two negatives there without letting them touch each other? Do you use some kind of divider? I process one sheet a time. A big waste of time and chemicals.

Thanks.
    Hugo

The 2850 drums have ridges that stick out maybe a 1/16". One on one side and the other side (180 degrees) has three more about an inch apart. When I load the film I put one edge of the film up against the single ridge and the other film edge against the second or middle ridge and just feel the film as I slide it down the tube between the ridges. I put the second sheet on the opposite side of the same ridges. The ridges keep the two sheets seperated and I have not had any problem with the sheets moving. I run my CPP-2 at 3 or 4 and it works great! Use a flash light and look down your tube and you should see the ridges.
    Good Luck!

Thanks Sandy for the scanner Info.
    Scott Squires

www.scottsquires.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    The Super Trekker AW II is the right pack for the task at hand.

I am not into wheeled devices simply because they are prohibited in any wilderness area and some National Parks. Usually this is where you want to make photographs, at least here in Colorado. Fact is that when you are putting on a back pack with anything of consequence make NO mistake about it - you are participating in a very physically arduous event. As a result carrying only as much as necessary to make your photographs is the objective. How this manifests itself is a very personal decision from tripods to darkcloths and film holders to lenses. I know this for a fact. The older I get the less weight I want to subject myself to.

A physical and regular cadiovascular conditioning/weight training are both recommended and advised. It should not take long for you to decide that this technique is the cats meow OR working from the vehicle is not such a bad proposition after all.

Last count I have four pack frames, five back packs and a cross buck saddle along with a set of panniers for a pack horse. Just think of the possibilities for LF/ULF images that are off of the beaten path?

Cheers!

I have also used a Super Trekker to back pack a 7X17 outfit, though I figure a mile or so in one direction would be about my limit these days.

In any event I have found that there are no good subjects for 7X17 and 12X20 cameras more than 50-75 feet from the vehicle.

Sandy King

Off the beaten path ...

of this thread, nevertheless interesting.

scan your prints? NO
    have a 7x17 enlarger? NO
    only do contact prints? YES
    do platinum/gold etc prints? Pt. / Pd. and AZO with occasional gum over
    send your work out to a photography lab? Never

Also what film do you use? Ilford FP 4

I have scanned the internet in a quest for another pack and still come back to the one I presently have here: http://www.meipacks.com/TravelPacks01.html#china1

I am probably a little foolish in my attempt to get two camera systems, 7x17 and 5x7 out to a fairly flat hike of about 2 miles one way. Not a big deal to return to car for the second system on the way out, the problem would be on the last day to return for just gear with no chance of making negatives.

Thanks for everyone's input. Steve

Steve,

If the terrain and law permits, you might consider this for the 7x17 and a backpack for the 5x7. http://babyjogger.com/performancesingle.htm I have never tried to collapse both rigs and put both my 7x17 and the 8x10 in this buggy, but I wouldn't rule it out until I tried it. I think using one light carbon tripod rather than my two wooden ones would keep everything under the 100 pound capacity. On flights you could ship it ahead with film or take it as extra baggage.

Locally I prefer to take one camera at a time all set up. I think and shoot in that format and make notes to come back for shots with the other. Of course I have the luxury of working from home. I can still go out up to four miles round trip, but two is a more reasonable limit.

I hike with a local group called hikinghounds.com. My Labs are on one leash with about an 18 inch splitter. Often they carry me up the steep hills to keep up with the younger group on their weekly five mile walks. I may try the dogs and the jogger for steep terrain.

Check the location for laws. We live a mile from the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Walkers and wheeled vehicles are prohibited from the horseback trails for safety reasons, but all other trails are open to babyjoggers.

John

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    In any event I have found that there are no good subjects for 7X17 and 12X20 cameras more than 50-75 feet from the vehicle.

Sandy King

I think this is one for the book on famous photographic quotations.

In the desert...

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I have also used a Super Trekker to back pack a 7X17 outfit, though I figure a mile or so in one direction would be about my limit these days.

Sandy King
    Here! Here! Words of wisdom!

4 wheel drive ATV behind 4 wheel drive suv...adds a nice touch..any wilderness I can t reach in this manner, can be reached with a longer lens.

Dave in the Mojave desert-king of of BLM canyons and mesas , riverbeds, and places you have never seen!

On another thought, someone should design and produce some "soft bags" cordura as protective covers with straps to transport 7 x 17 etc and film holders , that would slip into and out of an open back pack...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    On another thought, someone should design and produce some "soft bags" cordura as protective covers with straps to transport 7 x 17 etc and film holders , that would slip into and out of an open back pack...
    I had some belt packs made for my Grafmatics and for my 5x7" bag mag by a guy who goes by "Ted.B." on eBay, and the prices were reasonable, and he was good to work with. He didn't mind going through a couple of iterations to get them right, because then he could add them to his product line. He could do this sort of thing.

If Kevin Saitta is still making custom bags, that would be another possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post

Dave,

Have you looked at the MC Photo individual film holder bags that Quality Camera sells for just under $30 each? Mine have come in blue or black and are padded. They appear to be light tight and water proof, not sure what the material is. They have a top flap over the opening with a velcro seal. I carry up to seven holders in a scuba gear back pack from Dick's Sports. The holder bags slide easily in or out of the open top back pack. I carry the rest of the holders in a water proof bag with a draw string.

John