Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canham Quality or ???

Grego

Canham Quality or ???

Hello Gents,

After a brief foray into Leica 35mm photography (don't ask), I'm back. On a tighter budget than before, but once again eager to get into LF Photography. I remember that this was one of the most helpful sites ever, so here we go.

Can't afford the Linhof Technikarden of my dreams, but have read quite a bot about Canham's metal 4X5. Could I please get some input on what I would lose/give up by getting the Canham instead of the Linhof Technikardan.

Thanks all.
    Greg

Re: Canham Quality or ???

Can't speak about a 4x5 metal Canham, but I know my 8x10 wood Canham is terrific.

No camera can do everything, but my Canham does everything I ask it to do.

Remember, a camera is just a device to keep the light out so that the film sees just want you let it see through the lens/shutter combo that's used.

Concentrate more on the lenses you'll put on the box, then the box itself.

Just get a camera and start making images you enjoy.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

If you're on a tight budget, look into one of the Chinese cameras, like Shen-Hao, Chamonix, Tachihara, or Osaka. A fraction of the price of a Canham or Linhoff. The camera is just a box to hold film- save the money for decent glass.
    Brian Vuillemenot

You could get an inexpensive older Technika that would have the tactial "fondelbility" of your Leicas...

Gee. I have a Leica and a Canham DLC45, and love them both. But all the posts are correct. All view cameras are compromises, and all of the options mentioned are wonderful cameras. I traded in a SinarF and a Wista to pay for the Canham, because it was lighter and more easily portable than the SinarF, and had more extension than the Wista, so I could use a wider range of lenses. The point was simply that you have to choose a camera for the features which are worthwhile to you. Personally, I love the Canham, and would easily recommend it, but you may well love a Chamonix or used Technika, etc., just as much. One thing to consider is how you like the way a camera works - a Technika back swings and tilts with a very different mechanism than most view cameras (not better or worse, just different) and a Chamonix uses a "central focus screw" (I don't know how to describe the Philips approach, which the Chamonix appropriated), again a rather unique and different approach. I never had a Technikarden, but I imagine the geared movements may feel more precise than the Canham's, but then its a heavier camera, again trade-offs and compromises. If cost becomes the limiter, I agree with earlier posts suggesting a less expensive camera than the Canham, use the money you save on lenses. But of course one can make a similar argument against buying Leicas, in the end it has to be whatever makes you happy.

wfwhitaker

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    ...Chamonix uses a "central focus screw" (I don't know how to describe the Philips approach, which the Chamonix appropriated), again a rather unique and different approach...
    It's a lead screw (as in "You can lead a horse to water, etc...", not as in "lead-based paint"). I have a Phillips 7x17 and my reaction to using the lead screw focusing the first time was that it felt like using a Leica - very smooth and with almost no backlash. It's an absolute delight. I just didn't want to stop focusing! I do not have a Chamonix and have never tried one, so I don't know if their version is as nice. But it may be something to consider. Perhaps someone here will offer their experience.

Can't help you with the metal Canham, but have used the wood 5x7 and was very impressed. Good luck!

If you absolutely must wed yourself to a tripod dependent 4x5 I have to admit that I'm absolutely blown away by the Graphic View II. For $125 on the 'bay that leaves lots of money for glass
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Vuillemenot View Post
    If you're on a tight budget, look into one of the Chinese cameras, like Shen-Hao, Chamonix, Tachihara, or Osaka. A fraction of the price of a Canham or Linhoff. The camera is just a box to hold film- save the money for decent glass.
    Just to keep the record straight, neither the Tachihara nor the Osaka are Chinese. Both are Japanese cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Liscio View Post
    Hello Gents . . . Can't afford the Linhof Technikarden of my dreams, but have read quite a bot about Canham's metal 4X5. Could I please get some input on what I would lose/give up by getting the Canham instead of the Linhof Technikardan. . . . Thanks all. Greg
    You can buy a used Technikardan for about the price of a new Canham. Personally I'd rather have a Canham, I didn't care much for the Technikardan I owned, but many people like them a lot. They show up on ebay all the time, also on dealers' shelves, and last time I looked they were selling in the $2000 price range.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Scott Davis

Another vote for a Canham if you want to spend in that price range. I have the wood field 5x7/5x12 kit, and after working with it for a while, it is pretty much second nature to use for me. It works a little differently than the Shen/Tachi/Wisner style, so it takes a little getting used to, but then so does just about any other camera.