Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Format Displacing Your Old Medium Format?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Large Format Displacing Your Old Medium Format?

For me it is the 35mm that is starting to gather dust. I shoot MF and LF about equally.

someone please adopt my fuji rangefinder. see the for sale section. i know some of you print 8x10s to go in books and such. this is the perfect little 4x5 street camera for 8x10 prints. i have been taken with 16x20 prints from my 4x5. the little fuji has been in the bottom drawer for some time now....next to the dslr

Quit whining; get out and shoot all that film in the fridge before the fridge dies or the wife throws it away when you're on the other side of the world. Fix that Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta folder your Dad gave you (plus two others and a darkroom) when you were 6 in 1957, the one on which you produced the best roll you've ever shot, without even an exposure meter. Stop duplicating the junk in the photo bags, forgetting you've already bought it in HKG on your last trip. And file those negatives and slides.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Los View Post
    someone please adopt my fuji rangefinder.
    It's tempting...

I've looked...

... more than once...

BTW, what part of Los Angles are you in: acute or equilateral?

I just posted about this subject over on Open Photography Forums.

I'd set up my 5x7" Press Graflex to make photographs of our now almost 1-year-old son around the house for most of September and exposed about 12 negs. Then I decided it would probably be easier to use my 6x6cm Bronica S2a with my usual portrait setup--a 135/3.5 with a short extension tube. It uses rollfilm and there is more inherent DOF, so it should be easier, right? Toward the end of the month, I was getting a bit frustrated with the fact that Melchi, our son, was moving in and out of the focus zone with the extension tube, so I switched the normal focusing helical for the Bronica's tilt-shift bellows, which covers the whole range from infinity to macro, and as long as I was reconfiguring, I changed the waist-level finder for a chimney finder--which is to say, I was unconsciously turning it into a 6x6 version of the Graflex. I made about 50 shots in the course of October with the Bronica.

We moved to a new apartment a few months ago, so it's been slow getting the darkroom up and running, but I can load and process film, so a few nights ago I made a dent into the last few month's processing backlog, including all the abovementioned film, and I made some quick scans the next morning. I got some good shots with both cameras, but definitely a greater percentage of keepers with the Graflex, and I like what I did with the Graflex way better than my best medium format shots. I posted one of the Graflex shots over in the Portrait picture post thread.

So I guess the Graflex is further displacing the Bronica. I have a pretty extensive Bronica kit with lenses from 40-500mm, backs, and some exotic accessories, but prices are so low, it doesn't make sense to sell it even if I only use it once or twice a year.

I do find I am sticking the Linhof Super Rollex back onto my 4x5 more than I am shooting medium format cameras (6x9 or 645) lately. Something about that 56x72 proportion just strikes me as better. However, I keep looking at a few other cameras in medium format . . . not like I need another camera (at this point I don't know how many I own). Definitely been shooting much more 35mm lately, and for the look and results, not the convenience.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Type 55 is not gone!

I still shoot a Pentax 67II and a Hasselblad. I also shoot a 6x9 Arca FC on a 50cm rail for macro work, so medium format is not gone from my tool box yet. I actually love the 6x7 format. But when Type 55 dies, I probably will hang up my 4x5 then.
    55 is not gone yet but it will be by the end of the year.

For those of us fortunate enough to shoot more than one format it really is a great relief sometime after shooting only 8x10 or 5x7 to grab the 35mm or medium format camera and feel free. At least my way of looking through the view finder change depending on the format and gives me a sense of freshness and a desire to do more work with whatever (Hate that word) format that is current.

I sold my beloved Mamiya 7II kit a year or so ago, as the DSLR has taken over the medium format niche, at least for me. It's a great relief and a lot of fun to just go out shooting quickly and spontaneously (often hand-hand, no less!) without worrying about tripods, darkclothes, loupes, manual focusing and all the other LF workflow hassles.

To my surprise, however, I have not sold the 4x5. I've actually expanded my 4x5 lens lineup since there are depth-of-field intensive shots that just can't be done with the 8x10, plus there are situations where I want LF capabilities while traveling light. If MF digital becomes more cost effective then I'll go that route, but for now I can't get too excited about paying $40-50K for a camera system with slightly less resolution than my 4x5.

Actually the DSLR has replaced my medium format. The 4x5 gets the same usage it always has.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I love 4x5, and don't shoot it as much as I would like to; mainly due to work issues. As a result, I find myself shooting much more 35mm lately. I have a digital camera, but really hate the images it produces, so I mainly use it for my blog and illustrative purposes. I've started getting into shooting 6x12, but with my 4x5. I use a Toyo 45AII, but ordered one of the Chamonix as a replacement. My main camera other than 35mm is my Nikon F6 - what a fantastic camera!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a D200 as well, but find it just an expensive paper weight.

However, I am planning on ordering Mamiya 7II next spring.