Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Large Format Displacing Your Old Medium Format?

Re: Large Format Displacing Your Old Medium Format?

Quote Originally Posted by bsimison View Post
    Actually, I just did a couple of editorial jobs with my Hasselblad. The art directors loved the tonality of the scanned B+W film and said they'd like to see more in the future.

DSLRs are great, and I use my Nikons everyday...but there's a look to a nice MF neg you just can't (easily?) replicate in post.

That being said, anyone looking to offload any Hasselblad or Mamiya gear, cheap? :-)

Gorgeous work Brett.

People of the world, reunit with your medium format camera. I now take it with me everywhere. Oh I use my 8x10all the time, but I now scan my 6x6 or 6x7 negs. Photoshop them and make very large negs (16x20) then make my palladium prints or even better azo or lodima prints. I have two enlargers and I like pt/pl printing a lot more than anything and this gives me the option of getting shots I would normally not get with my 8x10.

multiplex

i haven't had a mf camera since 1991...
    when i want to shoot 120 film i taper a graphic 23 back
    to the back end of my graphic slr.
    i keep thinking of a koni omega though ...

My medium format was stolen at the same time that the thieves lifted the rest of the stuff from my home. I don't intend to replace it.

Well, the feeling here with the Anarchists in Santa Cruz is that if the poor person, who was only a victim of this terrible Capitalist system, needed your gear, he had some right to it. My 12 gauge feels different. All that aside, I love my Hasselblad Cm and lenses. I work with Native people up north, and there are times in a camp or a home that it works well. 4x5, and 8x10 are my best tools for recording the natural light outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
    i have a question. does 6x9 cm count as large format?
    It depends. The definition used for the LF-forum seems to be that a large format camera (view camera or field camera) in the 6x9 format is considered large format, but e.g. a 6x9 folder without movements or something like that is not. So it's more answering to "was it taken with a view/field camera" then about the "largeness" of the format.

When people ask me about my camera (Arca-Swiss 6x9) I usually say it's "large format, but small large format". That's because almost all the hassles of large format apply, except I don't get to put sheet film into film holders. (I'd done plenty of that when I was working with Sinar's, so I don't need to re-live it.)

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Talking Re: Large Format Displacing Your Old Medium Format?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K. View Post
    Has the medium format, the middle, dropped out of your shooting? Ditching the 4x5? If you still have your MF gear, do you at times feel that it would be more satisfying to crush the stuff or literally shoot it with a 44 instead of selling it for a fraction of a cent on the dollar? Is their any help for the anguish of parting with the trusted old MF friends? Does anyone care about MF anymore?
    LOCK AND LOAD, ROCK AND ROLL, BABY!

When I can buy an equivalent of the Hasselblad CFV-39 39Mp back for $100, I'll give up shooting medium format. For me, it is the 35mm that doesn't see action (but of course it was never a primary format for me). My Pentax 645 is just too convenient, and the quality is just too good. And of course I use my Pentax 6x7, mirror slap and all. On a good weekend I'll go through 20 rolls of film. I can use my 6x7 lenses on my 645 with an adapter, so it's all good there.

Me? A film junkie? Nope, I don't have a problem. Not me.

I've been using my 8x10, 4x5, 6x6cm, 35mm and cell phone cameras in the past few weeks. They all do their jobs just fine. If asked to choose which one I'll use for a given outing, I'd say my first consideration is - whichever one has film loaded, and is closest to the door.