Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schneider 72mm Super Angulon XL vs. 80mm Super Symmar XL

LJ Segil

Schneider 72mm Super Angulon XL vs. 80mm Super Symmar XL

I am considering one of these two lenses for my kit and am curious about how people feel about them, particularly those who have experienced both lenses. To my analysis (probably of little use to anyone, certainly historically should be of no use to me) they seem similar in focal length, dramatically different in size, not too dissimilar in coverage, and not all that far apart in price. So what are some of the important distinguishing characteristics that might help someone choose one of these two lenses over the other? Or am I missing a lens from one of the other major lensmakers that might be better than either of these?

Experience, facts, opinions, and preconceived notions are all welcome.

Thanks,
    LJS

Bob

Re: Schneider 72mm Super Angulon XL vs. 80mm Super Symmar XL

I only own the 80mm, but one of the main reasons for choosing it over the 72 was the filter size and cost associated with that. The 72 takes huge filters if I recall correctly.

I chose a Rodenstock 75 Grandagon-N over either of the Schneiders. I don't need to use a CF with the Rodenstock (you do with both Schneiders) and it stops down past f/32 (which the 80 XL does not, so your focus spread is limited to less than 3 mm, in fact more like 2 mm). Further, it is nice to focus with an f/4.5 viewfinder when your eyes are tired at the end of the day (although this was not a huge factor). Are the Schneiders sharper than the Rodenstock. If they are, I doubt I would see it. The Rodenstock is unbelieveably tack sharp, and I am super critical of lens performance. How can you get better than tack sharp?

I chose the 80mm SS-XL mainly because it's the more compact of the two.

Realistically though, I doubt that you'll find that much of a difference in image quality between either of the lenses you listed or the nearest Rodenstock or even Fujinon equivalent. Schnieder's 80mm SS-XL is a lot smaller than the Super Angulon though, and I carry my camera quite far from the vehicle. My 80mm SS-XL is going at least to Camp Muir with me, and if all goes well, all the way to the Columbia Crest. So for me size and weight were important. Your needs may not be the same, of course.

I'm not trying to bias you toward Schnieder rather than Rodenstock. My one Rodenstock lens (135mm Sironar-S) is a beauty also. It really is hard to go wrong with LF lenses.

I had also the same problem as you, but I finnally bought the Schneider 72/f5.6. Yes I know about the price beeing higher, big filter format, its weight, etc. But it's a hell of a lens. Sweet, Sharp, AND lots of mm to go when I make front and back adjustments...using my 4x5 AS. You won't regret the price you pay for it after that I can assure you. Good luck,
    Best,
    Jose
    Last edited by Jose Amado; 21-Nov-2007 at 15:21.

Eric Woodbury

What's your format?

I have the 72 and got it because it is the widest thing that covers 5x7. I like those wides. If I need an 80, I can just crop 10% off the 72. That doesn't go the other way. It also gives a better spacing with the other lenses I have, fitting nicely between the 110mm and the 58mm. I don't have the center filter. Not important for my work.

The 72 does have a huge front element and takes a giant filter, but I use 4" gels and that works fine.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

LJ Segil

I shoot 4x5 with a Master Technika.
    LJS

lazy retired bum

Perhaps you should look at the Nikkor 75 f/4.5. It is sharp, compact and can be found used for a reasonable sum. Just trying to muddy the waters. I realize you did not ask about it. For 4x5, I use an Arca, it's hard to beat.

Eric

I just want to correct a minor inaccuracy. According to the comparison charts the 80 SSXL stops down to f/32. Mine goes down to f/45.

One thing you might want to compare is the light fall off characteristics of the two lenses you are considering. I'm not sure where you'll find that information or if it's important to you.

I've just used my SA 72mmXL on a two-week tour of Bryce, Zion, Capitol Reef, and both Antelope Canyons; it's amazing, and I don't use mine with a centre filter. I was also tempted by the smaller, lighter, and cheaper R75/4.5 but was hooked on the 72SA
    when I first used it at an f32 LF workshop in Wales in 2003. Thrillling.Buy it in HKG.