Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do the Brits say 10x8 and 5x4?

jetcode

Re: Why do the Brits say 10x8 and 5x4?

I enjoyed my travels through the UK - lots of history and some really great people

What I want to know is, if photographers in the UK call a film holder a "dark slide", what do they call a dark slide?

Let us now sing the praises of real cheese: spectacular cheddar, or stilton, or any of the other fine cheeses from the British Isles. Wish I could bump every one of my 285
    passengers and replace them with their weight in cheese. Almost told the twit at Heathrow crew security"Go ahead and confiscate my nail clippers; have you seen the size of the fire axe I have in the cockpit?" Depressing news: the top-selling drink in pubs nowadays? Bud Light! It's not just urine; it's horse piss, and the horse had pneumonia.But why do you have to cross the Channel for real bread? And where else in the world can you take a "semi-fast"train? Or still find medieval plumbing with separate hot and cold water taps? Ah, but the ale and cheese make it worthwhile.

True, the Brits are light years ahead of us gringos when it comes to diversity in cheese, but for take out chinese I'm afraid the UK is definately way behind the curve. Uri---you called it right when it comes to gringo lite beer, but what about UK blood sausage? Cold toast? Heinz beans and----ugh---salad cream?
    It's no wonder they built the chunnel---the Brits had to get something to eat!

Of course they did have those Two Fat Ladies who rode around on a motorcycle cooking lunch for people---a class act! Loved 'em!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

but for take out chinese I'm afraid the UK is definately way behind the curve.
    Well just think how bad it gets when you build your whole country with immigrants
    UK blood sausage?
    It's called black pudding and done right its good stuff. Done wrong wrong and I can see your point.
    Cold toast?
    Tourist accommodation?
    Heinz beans
    American import?
    salad cream?
    what do you expect? Next time ask for Mayonnaise and not salad cream
    You get what you pay for and if the requests on this list for cheap this and cheap that are anything to go by, then its no wonder you didn't like the food.
    Of course they did have those Two Fat Ladies who rode around on a motorcycle cooking lunch for people---a class act! Loved 'em!
    It's not all bad then.

And never forget that Women's Institute Calendar showing Ladies of a Certain Age in various stages of modest undress. We'll always be in their debt for that. (Never mind that I feel I must know those women; didn't I fly with at least ONE of them on my crew recently?) For a sublime photographic experience, try the Outer Hebrides with LF gear - in summer only, may I add. Just for the smoked kippers for breakfast. Flew right by the lighthouse near Stornoway one sunny afternoon recently; different perspective.
    That's one of our main coastal fixes on the route in and out of London; always wanted to go there, and actually did last July 2006. Well worth the trouble and expense.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Uri Kolet View Post
    Let us now sing the praises of real cheese: spectacular cheddar, or stilton, or any of the other fine cheeses from the British Isles.
    I like the 4 year old gouda from Holland with a glass of high end port

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    True, the Brits are light years ahead of us gringos when it comes to diversity in cheese, but for take out chinese I'm afraid the UK is definately way behind the curve. Uri---you called it right when it comes to gringo lite beer, but what about UK blood sausage? Cold toast? Heinz beans and----ugh---salad cream?

LOL I was in the town of Inverness in Northern Scotland and went in for Chinese take out one night. I ordered vegetarian egg foo yung. When I opened the container I had scrambled eggs, bean sprouts, and tomatoes. They weren't scrambled together and there may have been some mushrooms. I must say that Indian food in Edinburgh was quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Uri Kolet View Post
    And never forget that Women's Institute Calendar showing Ladies of a Certain Age in various stages of modest undress. We'll always be in their debt for that. (Never mind that I feel I must know those women; didn't I fly with at least ONE of them on my crew recently?)
    This has become a very popular idea. Locally to where I live there is calendar of nude farmers and there have been many others country wide. Infact there has just been one in the news today. What ever floats your boat...
    Nudity for charity

There'll always be a big island off the coast of France.
    "There are two dirty words in photography; one is 'art', and the other is 'good taste'." - Helmut Newton