Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody noticed lack of Polaroid materials?

Has anybody noticed lack of Polaroid materials?

On browsing the Polaroid shop web site I notice that there are NO 4x5 or 8x10 color materials offered anymore. No Type 79, 59. Only one b/w film available in 8x10. I tried to order some type 79 from Unique photo back in November, and when it didn't arrive by January, I switched my order to Fuji 100fpc (think that is the name) 4x5 pack film. Fortunately I have both pack and sheet backs for instant film. I am getting nervous, as I use instant film as testing for my professional 4x5 transparency photography.

Re: Has anybody noticed lack of Polaroid materials?

Gene, I switched to the Fuji for testing on my 4x5 and roll film work over a year ago and haven't looked back. I miss the Polapan 100 black and white, but feel that the color on the Fuji is far superior to anything I ever achieved with any of Polaroid's color materials.

I'm glad that Fuji entered that market since I can now show a client or art director a pretty accurate "instant" color test image without having to apologize or explain away the dreadful off color P'roid. I don't miss that dance for one second.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Just checked B&H in NYC and they seem to have quite a few Polaroid sheet film in stock. I have noticed that Unique has cut back on the film and papers that they offer. I used to use Unique allot for film and chemistry and they have stopped carrying some of what I had ordered in the past. I think they have changed to carrying more digital and consumer products (recently bought a Canon G9 from them at a very good price). Check out this link to B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/3...heet_Film.html

I'm sure that some film is still out in the hands of dealers, so it will show up on some dealers webpages, but the fact that it is NOT on Polaroids OWN webpage is not a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    On browsing the Polaroid shop web site I notice that there are NO 4x5 or 8x10 color materials offered anymore. No Type 79, 59. Only one b/w film available in 8x10. I tried to order some type 79 from Unique photo back in November, and when it didn't arrive by January, I switched my order to Fuji 100fpc (think that is the name) 4x5 pack film. Fortunately I have both pack and sheet backs for instant film. I am getting nervous, as I use instant film as testing for my professional 4x5 transparency photography.
    Gene,

I just checked, there is lots of 4x5" in stock in the US shop.

Best,
    Darr

There seems to be plenty of BW, but no color. Even selecting the "All Products" dropdown menu on the Polaroid online store only lists BW 4x5 films. Usually, this listing will show how long until out-of-stock items will be available again.

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Gene,

I just checked, there is lots of 4x5" in stock in the US shop.

Best,
    Darr
    Yes, but NO COLOR stocks. And...if you will check individual items by clicking on them, you will see that some of these are discontinued..such as T51 and T53.

And, if there is no color 4x5 sheets available from Polaroid, that means there are no 4x5 sheet format color instant films available anywhere (except for existing stocks), as Fuji only makes 4x5 Pack film.

No trouble getting anything I want in Polaroid or Fujifilm Instant. I only use various pack films, so maybe that is a different situation. I do wish Polaroid still made films for their 550 back, since Fujifilm Instant for that is a bit expensive.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

59, 79 and 809 have been discontinued. 664, 54, 804, 51, 53, and 56 are next. Film boxes with the dreaded yellow discontinued stickers are turning up.

I feel ill. Personally I think it's criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by J Peterson View Post
    59, 79 and 809 have been discontinued. 664, 54, 804, 51, 53, and 56 are next. Film boxes with the dreaded yellow discontinued stickers are turning up.

I feel ill. Personally I think it's criminal.

So, there is no more color Polaroid film in a format that is suitable for testing on 4x5 cameras. That leaves only Fuji with a color pack film in 4x5. Type 51 and 53 are also being discontinued..says so on Polaroid store website under individual listings for these films.