Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enlargement of negatives

Enlargement of negatives

I have several 2 1/4, 4 x 5 and 5 x 7 BW negatives I would like to enlarge to print platinum with. Does anyone in the Portland, OR area know of a lab or individual who can enlarge negatives?

Re: Enlargement of negatives

Have you looked into printing digital negatives on an inkjet printer?

Quote Originally Posted by tom north View Post
    I have several 2 1/4, 4 x 5 and 5 x 7 BW negatives I would like to enlarge to print platinum with. Does anyone in the Portland, OR area know of a lab or individual who can enlarge negatives?
    Mark Nelson is one of the gurus of enlarged negatives. If you Google on his name you'll find his web site. He may make enlarged negatives for others or if he doesn't he probably knows someone who does.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Before you run out and give your money to someone else, have you tried duping your own negatives?

Why not slide your negs into your enlarge, at your sharpest aperture, and enlarge onto some 8x10 sheet film?

I've heard you lose a bit of contrast, and that it's best to use very slow film you can find (ISO 25 I guess). But at least you'll have tried to do it yourself, BEFORE, you paid out good money to someone else.

In focusing a negative for enlargement onto a larger size of film, how does on focus? In this regard, if one focuses upon a sheet of white paper, how does one assure the "paper/film" thickness differential does not result in an out of focus - or soft - enlarged negative.

Regards,

Robert

Robert, by stopping down the lens, you effectively get rid of the difference in thicknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Ironsights View Post
    Why not slide your negs into your enlarge, at your sharpest aperture, and enlarge onto some 8x10 sheet film?

I've heard you lose a bit of contrast, and that it's best to use very slow film you can find (ISO 25 I guess). But at least you'll have tried to do it yourself, BEFORE, you paid out good money to someone else.
    This would give you a positive. You have to do it twice and every time you lose both quality and increase contrast, not to mention the introduction of the possibility of scratches and dust. There are some tutorials on enlarging negatives with analog on http://www.unblinkingeye.com/

If this is just a one time thing then I would look into having someone do it for you as outsourcing can be expensive. I know of a couple of places such as Bostick & Sullivan who will do this for a fee.

Jeremy, can't reversal processes be used to avoid the loss of quality by omitting the second neg?

Hello To All:

To obviate the problem of a "positive" enlarged negative, why not simply project the smaller negative through its backing and expose directly onto the larger negative's emulsion? Although the enlarged negative will not be as sharp as if the projection took place through the smaller negative's emulsion, this -I would think - would obviate the need to made a "negative" from the enlarged "positive" negative.

Your collective thoughts on this concept of "reversed" projection printing will be appreciated.

Regards,

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Ironsights View Post
    Before you run out and give your money to someone else, have you tried duping your own negatives?

Why not slide your negs into your enlarge, at your sharpest aperture, and enlarge onto some 8x10 sheet film?.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.