Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Imacon 848 technique

Re: Imacon 848 technique

In regards to the sharpening:
    As far as I knew, if you unchecked the two "Apply" boxes in the Texture setting in Flexcolor, then saved it, none of the sharpening would be applied when you choose that particular profile with processing into a tiff. Please let me know if that is not true.

Baxter

The sharpening topic in FFF and TIFF files has just been discussed again by the imacon user group at yahoogroups.com. There is some excellent advice in their archives - especially by Gerry Yaeger who is/was a trainer for Imacon. His posts are full and informative.

Suggest joining (it's free) and seeking the answers there - far better than I can type! Flexcolor is a powerful program and the manual isn't always too helpful....

Essentially I've found something which works for me, so I just use this. I am not too interested in the semantics, just getting best results.

I think that OP could get max throughput using FFF scans, then process at elsewhere when not so time constrained.

The Imacon I rent time on runs on a MAC. I have the latest release of Flexcolor running on a PC. If I save the scan as a 3F file will I be able to open it on my PC? In other words are 3F files portable across platforms the same way that TIFFs are?
    - Answering my own question here - Forwarded this issue to Imacon tech support and they confirmed that yes, 3F files are portable across platforms (which makes sense really since they appear to be Tiffs in disguise)

great to hear walter. hope your scanning goes well.

A naive thought maybe? Another question about 3F raw files. Is there a native resolution built into them as DSLR Camera Raw files are? For instance, a raw file from a Canon 5D is 12.7mp which translates to a native file size. Output above that size is interpolation with clearly degraded images. Would this not be true of 3F files too since a scanner is really only a big digital camera?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk,

Yes, a 3F file is a scan at true resolution with a neg. A 4x5 true resolution scan on an Imacon 949 is 2040 spi.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    A naive thought maybe? Another question about 3F raw files. Is there a native resolution built into them as DSLR Camera Raw files are? For instance, a raw file from a Canon 5D is 12.7mp which translates to a native file size. Output above that size is interpolation with clearly degraded images. Would this not be true of 3F files too since a scanner is really only a big digital camera?
    Flextight scanners use a trilinear array and aren't Bayer-interpolated like typical digicam files (thankfully). The 3F files are 16-bit per channel. On the higher end models (those with Active Cooling) all 16-bits are used. Normally you set it to scan at maximum optical resolution for the original holder in use.

More info in the "Introduction to the 3f Format and Workflow" section in the FlexColor Scanner manual:

http://www.hasselblad.com/media/1397...scanner_uk.pdf

Is it possible to get hold of a copy of FlexColor without buying a scanner? If so, how much does it cost?

I haven't tried this workflow yet and won't till I get back to Chicago, but I consider that it has great potential.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by joolsb View Post
    Is it possible to get hold of a copy of FlexColor without buying a scanner? If so, how much does it cost?
    It's available for free download by registered owners of Flextight scanners. Speak to the person who owns the scanner you'll be using.