Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: canvas printing equipment?

Re: canvas printing equipment?

roshka177,

I'm in the similar business and I use epson 11880 with EFI RIP for my work (fine art/ giclee) call it whatever you like. Prints are amazing but expensive, I charge 120-200 euro/m2 for prints on canvas.

For commercial work I would go with epson GS6000. Friend of mine is having one and prints are excellent and not expensive approx. 8 eur/m2 on canvas. He is also using EFI RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by roshka177 View Post
    Lenny can you please tell me what is the exact model of your Roland printer. I am trying to start canvas printing shop and your description f the Roland printer was amazing so I have decided to get the one you described.
    I have twin FJ-540's, one for color and one for b&w. There are some considerations, however. Roland has decided to stay out of the fine art market. As good as these machines are, Roland has focused on the banner printing and wrap printing arenas.

What most folks don't know is that Epson is quite tyrannical. I am certain that they let Roland know to stay away from the Fine Art market or be vanquished. They forced my software vendor to not support b&w inks anymore - or be forced out - by not having the codes for the new machines. This kind of behavior should be punished by the market, and by our laws, but I have no say in this. Certainly, a boycott is in order, if nothing else.

So, if you want a printer that will print day in and day out for years, where the parts are metal, and you know how to run your own RIP, then there are a lot of choices including Roland, Mimaki, Mutoh and others. I happen to like Roland the best but they are all built better than an Epson.

On the other hand, if you want a system where software support is consistent, there are lots of consultants who know the machines and can help you get set up, then I think you should buy the biggest baddest Epson you can find.

(This is my opinion, of course, and just the way I see it today. I am sure some will disagree, and I welcome it. There is always something to learn.)

I don't have a new Epson yet, as i don't need it. My printers are working very well. However, I won't buy Epson paper or Epson ink - even if it was great. I do have choice in that, at least, and its my little vote against their mafia-like behavior.

Lenny

EigerStudios
    eiger@eigerstudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    I can tell you that I have had so much trouble with Epson's, we finally unplugged the last one.
    Completely agree. We had an Epson 10000 which went the same way. Always a pain to work with. We finally we went with HP and found it much better. Both using it and also maintenance are much easier. The built in spectrophotometer makes calibrations a doodle! Now all our canvas prints are spot on first time - far less wastage.

Hello there, do you guys think that an older epson 9800 would get me some places?

I have a friend who is willing to pass or hand down his epson 9800 44 inches printer. He has advised me about the whole printing process including handling prints on canvas and the like.

So, what other things do I need to get me started? I am savvy with photoshop so that would be no problem.

Dear Sirs,

please allow me reopen this older thread cause i think my question should be answered here and i didnt want to spam opening new thread.

I would like to buy "hand painted, oil painting on canvas" but im worried its not handmade but its printed with high quality printer. Can you please advise me if its possible ?

Painting is approximately 100 x 90 cm and seller says its 100 % painted by artist, by oil colors and painted on canvas and stretched on wood. Price is only 40 eur and i find it very low for such painting

I really would like to buy hand painted picture and dont want to be cheated. I am very thankful for your advices

Please see link below. Picture represents painting i would like to buy

http://i42.tinypic.com/ftzq1e.png

Thank you very much

Every once in a while this thread pops back up and I start reading it from scratch again. Half way through I realize it's this old thread I've read it before, it's he'll getting old.

There's some really bizarre posts in here. Nice to read posts from Ted Harris again though, he was a great guy and somehow lives on through this thread.

I guess now I'm guilty of adding another strange post to this thread.

www.timeandlight.com

Just the other day someone said "HP's are crap". I have no dog in this race, but I find it amusing that people have such differing opinions.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    Just the other day someone said "HP's are crap". I have no dog in this race, but I find it amusing that people have such differing opinions.

Lenny
    Think of it as customer service (as I'm sure you already do!). One bad experience will stick in one's memory much longer than a good experience. One tends to tell more people about a bad experience than a good one also.
    Being in a service oriented business, I understand and appreciate it. I find myself forming similar opinions about products and services, but also place emphasis on whether the opinion is based on a single or multiple events.

Hello, friend for large canvas prints you can try Magnipic.com. Some site offer a good large canvas prints but they not give a good resolution but Magnipic gives both. In order to protect the original photo's quality and ensure best results, it is required to enlarge the photo on canvas with special software and monitoring tools. When enlarging photo to canvas, the resolution would determine the quality of the enlarged canvas print. At Magnipic.com they use state of the art software and printing equipment that uses digital data in order to improve the photo's resolution. For more Visit www.Magnipic.com