Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a warm toned paper.....

Looking for a warm toned paper.....

that has good blacks and white (not creamy) whites. I tried Ilford MG Warmtone. Nice, but not what I'm looking for. Tried Kentmere and the paper was fogged coming out of the box. Any suggestions? I'm using Oriental Seagull and loving it....but have some images that I think would be better served by warmer midtones. I would like a warmer Seagull.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Re: Looking for a warm toned paper.....

That's a tough call. I've been looking for a warmtone replacement for Agfa. Ilford WT is pretty close. Oriental makes a warmtone paper. Normally it is only available in semi-matte, but it is now available at Freestyle in a "smooth gloss". I had severe edge fogging with Kentmere Kentona (and received and unsatisfactory explanation from Kentmere). However, I found it was a really beautiful paper after removing the edge fogging with Farmer's reducer. I also tried Efke/Fotokemika, it is warmtone, but I was unable to get anything but muddy tones. Let us know what you find.

The choice of developer can influence how Ilford MG Warmtone responds. Perhaps adding BTZ to your developer will make the whites more to your liking. I have found that a Phenidone based developer with an appropriate amount of BTZ works well with the Ilford Warmtone paper.

Eric Woodbury

I was just looking for the same thing, except I'm coming from Bergger. I called people yesterday and it sounds like warm emulsion and white paper is only Oriental and Bergger. I'm glad to here that Oriental is available, because Bergger is twitchy. We may see it again in January. I think you need to use some Brown Toner or Polysulfide Toner. Don't really know...don't like toners.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    that has good blacks and white (not creamy) whites. I tried Ilford MG Warmtone. Nice, but not what I'm looking for. Tried Kentmere and the paper was fogged coming out of the box. Any suggestions? I'm using Oriental Seagull and loving it....but have some images that I think would be better served by warmer midtones. I would like a warmer Seagull.
    What paper developer do you use? Have you tried a wamer developer with the Oriental?

-Darren

I use the Bergger VC warmtone right now, and I'm happy with it. It's on a white base, but otherwise it's not as warm as the Ilford stuff in my experience.

It might help us if you disclose your developer and toner.

My developer is Photo Formulary 130, and I tone with selenium. I tried Freestyle's warm tone developer and it was nasty with Oriental. What amazes me is that I didn't notice Oriental had a warm toned paper. Blindness will do that to you. I'm ordering a box as we speak.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Consider selenium toning the Ilford warmtone.

Also, try Ethol LPD with the Ilford warmtone.

As a newbie printer, I've enjoyed this combination, esp since LPD's tone varies with different dilutions...and the working solution lasts forever!

I also saw that Freestyle is calling Oriental Warmtone glossy. The type I have is not and it never came with any other surface. Let us know if the surface is really glossy. It's a nice paper but I don't think the whites any different from Ilford Warmtone. If you want warm blacks and non-creamy whites stockup on old Forte Warmtone or Fortezo in graded. But it does seem like the last batch of Ilford Warmtone I used had brighter whites. Maybe it was just the fresh paper.