Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My Dream lens kit

Re: My Dream lens kit

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Tarbert View Post
    pNow Brian i think your just showing off
    I am glad you don't carry them all in the same backpack.
    I left one off my collection but due too price it is a bit of a pipe dream thats the Schnieder 210 super symmar 5.6XL and it is a little on the heavy side for my criteria
    But it covers a mile and has superb image quality!!.cheers Gary
    Gary I just feel fortunate that I mostly shoot 4x5 and 6x12cm and don't have to carry the bigger lenses. As for showing off it's more about letting people know what lenses I might have a opinion about that might be of benefit to them. Which brings me to;

JP, the 180mm Macro sironar is a great macro lens, however head to head against a 180 Sironar-S it did not perfrom well at infinity so I would not recommend it as a landscape lens.

In my dreams my case of lenses follows me, 2 feet behind me, suspended magically 4 feet from the ground. But more realistically most of the time I take 3 - 4 most used with me.

75-90-135-240

The 75 and 90 are Caltar N f/6.8
    The 135 is Rod Apo Sironar S
    The 240 is the Dokter Germinar

Thanks Brian. The 180 would strictly be for macro applications. It is an asymmetrical design akin to the Rodie 120 makro?

JP it seems to be a plasmat design, the rear elements being smaller than the front.

What, am I the only one using a Schneider SA 72mm XL, or have I spent too long at high altitudes low on oxygen? Just returned from a two-week trip (my first) to Bryce Canyon, Zion, Capitol Reef, Cathedral Valley, and both Antelope Canyons; 91 sheets of 4x5 & 45-35mm rolls later... Also had my first taste of "Polygamy Porter" in Utah!

I do use a 72mm XL sometimes. But since I aquired a 80mm XL it stays at home most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Uri Kolet View Post
    What, am I the only one using a Schneider SA 72mm XL, or have I spent too long at high altitudes low on oxygen? Just returned from a two-week trip (my first) to Bryce Canyon, Zion, Capitol Reef, Cathedral Valley, and both Antelope Canyons; 91 sheets of 4x5 & 45-35mm rolls later... Also had my first taste of "Polygamy Porter" in Utah!
    The 72mmXL Schneider is a superb lens ,but for backpackers is considered too bulky & heavy plus it also requires a polarizer the size of a small dinner plate by the time you add the centre spot filter.cheers Gary

I prefer the Rodenstock 75mm Grandagon-N. Nice and light, can take 77mm filters with a 67/77 SUR (without vignetting) or the Lee system with the wide angle adapter and up to two filter slots, and best of all, it stops down past f/32 (which the 80XL does not) and does not require a CF (which the 80XL does). Even with the 75mm, when I have immediate foreground elements which require vertical depth (as a result of tilt), I have found a focus spread of 3-4mm is required (e.g. huge foreground boulders, or plants). That means stopping past f/32. Yeah, I know diffraction kicks in, but looking at the chromes it sure is difficult to see the negative impact with this optic. I considered the 72XL, but I'm already hauling around a 300/5.6 APO Sironar-S. One tank of a lens is enough!

Hi Armin!

Is your second dream kit for taking stereo pictures?

Peter K
    Hallo Peter no it was a mistake I had some troubles with my browser at the time!

Cheers Armin