Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: front rise on a Tech IV

front rise on a Tech IV

Is it possible to convert the knob front rise of the Tech IV to the ratchet mechanism on the Tech V? If so, would you please supply a repair facility to do this or directions so I could do this myself? Thanks

Dick P.

Re: front rise on a Tech IV

I don't know if that could be done easily without replacing the front standard, but you could call Marflex and see if they would do it.

$$$ and probably not worth it. In fact the Tech IV rise is more solid and reliable than the later ratcheting risers, which are convenient especially with wide angle lenses but prone to breaking gear teeth if you force them (a common fault). The bottom few teeth break off and then you have to manually "rise" the lens until the teeth engage.

So unless I was using frequent rises with >90mm lenses I wouldn't bother.

hi dick,

yes, it is possible without any problem. i have done it to two cameras. once with the plastic lever (linhof color with knob=technika IV) and once with the all metal one.
    you just have to unscrew the screws below the lens board holder (raise the board a bit to see them), take off the knob gear, replace it, see that the new ratchet has a proper grip, put back the screws, tighten them and you're done.
    in my expereince the problem frank mentions occures when the screws are too loose and the gear rather slides over the teeth than grips.
    now i don't have any experience whether the newest ratchets (longer holder) are any different to the previous ones. linhof wanted to check (and i guess charge me) whether the ratchet i used would work on my V. i did it (change from plastic to metal, and the plastic one i put on a modified III) myself and it worked perfectly. but if you buy a new one i guess it will be many $$$$$!
    mind: a guy i sold another plastic lever claimed it did not fit his IV because he could not put the standard back into the housing without the lever obstructing! so you better check spacings and go for the metal lever.

douglas

" but prone to breaking gear teeth if you force them (a common fault). "

I wouldn't call this a "commn fault". I have been the Linhof Product Manager since 1980 and have never received a call, letter or email from any owner of any Technika with this problem.

I have also never received a report of this problem from either our current repair station - Marflex, or our former repair station - ZV Service.

To be a common problem we would normally be aware of it.

We have also never received any note, call, memo or email from the factory about this being a problem, of any kind.

bob,

i really appreciate you being here on this forum with all your experience you share with us. ... and how you are up in arms when anybody attacks the company or its products! but i believe linhof should be watching these forums and seeing into all these issues. and this for the sake of learning.
    that you don't have knowledge of anyone complaining does not mean this problem does not exist. maybe its a minor one in the perception of the users and they try to solve it themselves like i did. i know of quite a few technika users that did so. and all the little linhof items sold in various auctions and the prices they bring show that there is a demand for them. also for the gear tracks.
    i think, phase one is doing a great thing to have an own public forum where users can come up with questions. that is also interesting for nonusers to get started. and so a strategic marketing tool.linhof could gain from the experience of users and extend the interest of nonusers to convert to their cameras. but in fact they ask me for my telephone number over and over again when i come up with technical questions from time to time. that doesn't even give me the feeling they have a functioning customer data base. i think linhof could profit from the way other camera manufacturers handle their business to be prepared for the future.
    don't take it a miss, i love these cameras and wish linhof to exist for a long time.
    but sometimes i fear they are not really at the pace of time and at the pulse of their customers. and i see all the different threads coming up on linhof cameras more as a support for these beautiful pieces than destructive criticism. what do you think?

douglas

Douglas,

Don't you think if a problem was "common" then a user or dealer or service center or the factory would have spoken to us about it? After all, we have been the sole Linhof Distributor for the Linhof factory since the 1970's! A common problem would normally be brought to our attention over this time span.

Yes, Linhof cameras have been made and been sold for far longer then we have been the distributor and we do not handle or even see or talk to all the owners that buy old ones. But we do put a 5 year warranty on new Linhofs and have done so since the early 1980s and while we have had that warranty in effect this problem has not occurred as a repair issue.

Lastly Linhof has just introduced the latest Master Technika, the 3000, which has special features built-in for handling and using lenses as short as 35mm with no additional accessory needed (other then the lensboard). And Linhof has for several years offerred an inexpensive way to mount Hasselblad V backs to any 45 Graflok back camera to make them very easy to adapt to any digital back that mounts to the V. And Linhof has just introduced a sliding shift back for all Technika cameras back to the IV that accepts camera backs from Hasselblad V, H, Contax 645 and Mamiya AFD cameras.

How many 50 year old camera systems can you name with this type of modern adaptability by the manufacturer of the camera?

And for those users who want a greater range of movements with a greater range of lenses in the field Linhof makes the TKs system. As modern a camera as any out there!

And if anyone has questions you can just ask us. We spend a considerable amount of time fielding questions from users and prospective users. Linhof today, is a small company and most companies expect their distributors to handle questions on the product and its' uses. That is why most of the companies that we represent forward the questions to us from the USA for handling.

Quote Originally Posted by douglas antonio View Post
    hi dick,

yes, it is possible without any problem. i have done it to two cameras. once with the plastic lever (linhof color with knob=technika IV) and once with the all metal one.
    you just have to unscrew the screws below the lens board holder (raise the board a bit to see them), take off the knob gear, replace it, see that the new ratchet has a proper grip, put back the screws, tighten them and you're done.
    in my expereince the problem frank mentions occures when the screws are too loose and the gear rather slides over the teeth than grips.

mind: a guy i sold another plastic lever claimed it did not fit his IV because he could not put the standard back into the housing without the lever obstructing! so you better check spacings and go for the metal lever.

douglas
    I have a similar experience as Douglas's guy. A ratchet from V cannot be installed to my IV because of different dimensions of its shaft and mounting pins. The design of the newer part with ratchet is much stronger and more robust than of mine with knob.

bob,

i can see all your points and i am sure a few issues come up from the age of the individual camera or the unprofessional use by the owners.
    and maybe you are right about "common" problem. i have no statistics to present.
    so i am stopping this discussion from my side at this point.
    but let me say something to your other explanations. i see all the improvements done on the mt 3000, but some i believe were really neccessary. e.g. for years the problem of vertical vignetting with wide angle lenses was known. and what is the use of a specifically engineered wide angle camera if this isn't solved?
    the construction of a rapid slide adapter to take digital backs is vitally essential for linhof to continue the masters series. some day large format and film may be gone. so would all camera systems that did not adapt to the development into the digital picture capturing. so this was high time in my opinionfor linhof!
    my experience with companies in the photo business based in the u.s. was very good concerning customer service, knowledge and quick turnaround.
    this is "slightly" different in germany, where i live. and linhof in munich needs to to catch up with globalisation and all the competitors analogue or digital. and it's not all about selling cameras only, but also about client service, listening to their issues, complaints, needs etc. because a customer might change suppliers, a fan will stay. and there are so many linhof fans around the world that would definitely buy a new linhof if they one day have the big bucks. so linhof, the small german company should see the potential in treating them as fans.
    great, if their distributors have realized that already and are acting accordingly!
    that is what we linhof junkies need. so talking about gear track teeth is more a disappointment issue i guess ...

by the way, bob: you being so long in the linhof business might be able to answer my question faster than the small company in munich which i have already contacted?
    is the rapid slide adapter of the 60's-70's plus the hassleblad-V-adapter-plate ready to take digital backs with hassleblad-V-mounts and get equivalent results as with the "new" mt 3000 slide adapter? i have got one in mint condition plus the plate. i was going to check with the phaseone guys next week. they were more than willing to see and talk to me despite the fact that i told them i was definitely not going to buy a phaseone back at the moment.
    but maybe you as a linhof man can help me more easily?! ;-))

douglas

lost the post and had to rewrite it ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    " but prone to breaking gear teeth if you force them (a common fault). "

I wouldn't call this a "commn fault". I have been the Linhof Product Manager since 1980 and have never received a call, letter or email from any owner of any Technika with this problem.

I have also never received a report of this problem from either our current repair station - Marflex, or our former repair station - ZV Service.

To be a common problem we would normally be aware of it.

We have also never received any note, call, memo or email from the factory about this being a problem, of any kind.
    Please Bob,

Because YOU have never received a call, doesn't confirm that it isn't so. I have had that problem with my MT2000 since last year. It simply has not risen to the level of annoyance for me to have repaired it. In the meantime, I have babied the usage of this rise so that it doesn't fail completely.

Actually, about 7 months ago, I purchased a pair of replacement geared rack for what I expect to be ultimate failure in the future, I just thought I'd get as much life out of the original ones as possible. The replacement racks I would expect to also fail eventually.

For readers unfamiliar with this, the rack for the front rise appears to be injection molded nylon to my eye.

I would recommend that Linhof change this material to delrin which would be a much stronger mate to the rack gears. (than there is fiberglass filled acetal delrins. . .)

In any case, I feel that your statement that because you haven't heard of this problem occuring should be the position that should be taken by all, very much weakens my respect for your response as a spokesman for Linhof.